Europa-List: Reposition oil cooler on Classic Trigear

Subject: Europa-List: Reposition oil cooler on Classic Trigear
From: GBWFH2010 <gaxuk2001@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 13 May 2016 07:54:50

As part of my investigations into the cause of very high oil temps on my Classic
I am considering moving the oil cooler to a dedicated cowling inlet. Have any
other Classic owners done this and, if so, would you be willing to let me have
some details on how you achieved this?

Also, the dreaded question. Would I have to classify this as a mod as far as the
LAA were concerned?

Finally I show below the text of my post on the Rotax forum. If anyone has any
ideas I would be delighted to hear them!

Aircraft:  Europa Classic Tri Gear
Engine :  Rotax 912 UL (80HP) TT 440 hours
Propeller:  Airmaster

I am having a major problem with excessive oil temperature. The Europa Classic
is not brilliant when it comes to cooling due to the design feature of having
the oil cooler mounted behind the left hand coolant radiator and I have carried
out all the recommended mods suggested by other Europa owners to improve
cooling.
These have helped and but now the weather is getting warmer (21 degrees!)
I have discovered things have taken a turn for the worse.

My last three flights have been a nightmare due to soaring oil temperature. For
example, yesterday I started my take off roll with an oil temp of 80C and had
to reduce power and level off after less than two minutes (1300 ft) with the
oil temp approaching 130C and CHT of 120C. Cruising at that level quickly drops
the CHT to 110C but the oil takes an age to fall below 120C. If I can get the
aircraft into the cruise above 2500ft the temps stabilise at just below 110C
Oil and 100C CHT, the problem is I just cant get that high at the moment.

I have not changed anything on the aircraft so I am assuming it must be an
engine
problem.  The oil level is always correct and I use Aeroshell Sport Plus 4
and Rotax filters. The oil has done less than 20 hours and I use MOGAS with no
ethanol. Oil pressure is OK and is about 2.8  3 Bar at a normal cruise.

Does anyone have any ideas what could possibly be causing this problem? I really
hope so as I am not going anywhere as things stand!

Gordon Grant
Europa Classic G-BWFH

--------
Gordon Grant