Europa-List: Paint quantity

Subject: Europa-List: Paint quantity
From: Fred Klein <fklein@orcasonline.com>
Date: Tue, 3 May 2016 14:00:02

Gentlemen,

For those of you whove sprayed a 2 part epoxy primer and topcoat, Im curious as
to how much material youve used.

Im using the Poly Fiber EP-420 and Aero-Thane topcoatone gal. of the primer is
supposedly good for 1000 sq. ft., and the topcoat only 225 sq. ft.

After painting everything but the fuselage and the two wings, Ive used less than
a quart of primer and about a quart of topcoat.

I have an experienced pro handling the spray gun and hes taken me seriously
about
NOT laying on heavy coatsnonetheless, or perhaps as a consequence, some of
the parts sprayed thus far have less than the desired ultra smooth glossy
finish.

Since weve shot the flying surfaces in sequence, one factor resulting in less
than
optimal results may be that too much time elapsed between the recommended
three coats (fog/mist coat, followed by 2 medium coats)another may be simply not
laying on enough paint...but I speculate.

My intention for now isfor those parts w/ less than satisfactory smooth glossis
to sand w/ 400 grit and reapply topcoat.

Im also wondering if anyone can recommend a protocol for some kind of rubbing or
polishing after cure for this kind of product.

Striving for excellence, not perfection,

Fred