Europa-List: Re: UK back-up VFR instruments for EFIS

Subject: Europa-List: Re: UK back-up VFR instruments for EFIS
From: rampil <ira.rampil@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2016 12:23:14

Hi Jonathan!

I'm just curious about your query and underlying assumptions.
Are light aircraft in the LAA/PFA world required to have certificated
instrumentation

(USA TSO equivalent)?  In the US, that is not the case, FWIW.

Assuming (and quite possibly wrongly) that certificated instrumentation
is not mandatory, why then are steam gauges required in your opinion, if the
EFIS has all required data displayed.
Are you making the argument that electronic instrumentation is less
accurate or less reliable than mechanical? I do not believe you can find
objective data supporting that contention. The hide-bound FAA in the
US has come to see the light. They have begun to allow non-TSO
instrumentation to be panel-mounted in certified aircraft, e.g.,
Dynons D10 in Cessna 172s.

Of course some people just don't like glass instruments.  I have a neighbor
here with over 25000 ATP flight hours, a J-3 cub, a Stearman, and an FAA
"Wright Brothers" award for 50 years of accident-free flying. He won't
fly behind a Rotax because he believes an engine RPM over 3000 is unsafe.
Each to their own.

--------
Ira N224XS

Read this topic online here: