Europa-List: UK back-up VFR instruments for EFIS

Subject: Europa-List: UK back-up VFR instruments for EFIS
From: jonathanmilbank <jdmilbank@yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2016 14:03:28

A friend has asked me to perform the flight tests for the initial permit issue
for a nice little 2-seat VLA and he seems only to have an EFIS with little else
by way of "steam-driven" instruments for VFR back-up. The only photo I've seen
doesn't show the panel clearly.

As a retired commercial pilot, it seems to me that permit light aircraft should
be subject to the same requirements as certified VFR aircraft i.e. a bare
minimum
of ASI, altimeter and magnetic compass. I've seen CS-VLA 1303 Flight and
navigation instruments "The following are required flight and navigational
instruments:
(a) An airspeed indicator; (b) An altimeter; (c) A magnetic direction
indicator" but I can't see any reference to whether this applies to permit
aircraft,
or whether an EFIS alone is enough.

What should I do? Decline to carry out the flight tests until suitable back-ups
are installed, or just do the flights and hope that the friend (trainee pilot)
has researched this topic for himself and satisfies whatever requirements he's
discovered? His aircraft is several hundreds of miles away from where I live

Read this topic online here: