Re: Europa-List: BRS

Subject: Re: Europa-List: BRS
From: davidjoyce@doctors.org.uk
Date: Sun, 1 Nov 2015 12:31:07

Wladimir, The range of Europa ready for service weights runs from
roughly 800 to 950 lbs with the (LAA) max AU limit of 1370lbs that
leaves you with anywhere between 570 and 420lbs. 570 allows full fuel
(around 115lbs), 80lbs luggage and 375lbs crew, that is two guys of
around 13 stone/83kg. If you are on the wrong end of the weight spectrum
your options are much more limited, quite apart from the degradation in
performance and safety margins. My tips for keeping it light would be:

1. Get your fibreglass work supervised by an expert, who will tell you
the optimum, relatively dry resin/cloth ratio and probably insist on you
using peelply on all lay ups. Extra resin makes the result weaker!

2. Think critically about all equipment - do you actually need it? Is
there a lighter alternative? Luxurious leather upholstery and coach
lining should be viewed with deep suspicion!

3. Kit it out with electronic instruments rather than steam age ones -
much lighter as well as better suited to 21st century.

4. Be very critical about the paint system. Multiple layers of filler,
undercoat UV protection & top coats can weigh a substantial amount.
check out how many cans of each are estimated to be needed and do the
weight calculation. Almost certainly a professionally applied gelcoat
(which needs no undercoat or UV protection coat, and half of which is
taken off in the rubbing down process) will be significantly lighter,
quite apart from producing the perfect finish. Don't paint hidden
surfaces (aileron close outs & wing root areas)

5. Be critical about the length of bolts you use - they only need to be
just in safety - 2 threads showing

6. Aim if poss to have your battery over the passenger footwell - much
reduced length of heavy wire, & minimal battery box construction. Use a
lighter modern battery such as an Odyssey.

Best of luck, David Joyce, GXSDJ (914/ MONO/Woodcomp SR300W with very
full panel & autopilot + gelcoat finish, weighing in at 837lbs)

On 2015-11-01 10:59, Wladimir Kummer wrote:

> Nice to have this wealth of knowledge! Thanks fellows. Now have to concentrate
in building as light as possible.

> With lightness in mind do you guys have any advice about making it lighter?
>
> Wladimir
> Europa XS MG Kit
> Joinville - SC - Brazil

Links: