Re: Europa-List: Airmaster Whirlwind blades

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Airmaster Whirlwind blades
From: amimcfadyean@talktalk.net
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2015 10:56:50
Useful and interesting comparison, and seems to confirm Sensenic
h's view of their own propeller, which they quoted to me:
"......it is not for fast aircraft like the Europa". But the
n nor is the WD (as the tests also confirm)!=0A?=0ADunca
n McF.=0A=0A=0A=0A=0A-----Original Message-----=0AFrom:
Bud Yerly <budyerly@msn.com>=0ATo: europa-list@matronics.com=0A
Sent: Sun, 18 Oct 2015 22:36=0ASubject: Re: Europa-List: Airm
aster Whirlwind blades=0A=0ARichard,?=0AI've been able to t
est the WhirlWind (WW) blades on my Europa with 914 for?=0A
the last six months. I find them an excellent fit for the
AP332 since the?=0Ablades can be swapped out easily.?=0AThat
 said, a new ferrule had to be made to install the WW
blades into the?=0A332 hub. No direct cheap swap out I'm
afraid.?=0A?=0APerformance wise, it is slightly better and l
ighter than the wide chord Warp?=0ADrive (WD). If you have
the narrow chord WD blades they are a whole lot?=0Abetter.?
=0A?=0AWe are limited in the Europa to 64 inches diamete
r and of course to the slow?=0Aturning Rotax. With only a
 cruise RPM of 2050 prop RPM and 2500 Climb RPM?=0Aand
a high speed airplane with a wide performance range we don't
 see a large?=0Achange in performance between the blades. N
o amount of twist can compensate?=0Afor slow prop speed on
a geared engine. Propellers fly on torque so there is just
so much you can do.?=0A?=0AI've tested the two blade, th
ree blade WD, Sensenich (Sen) and WW blades.?=0APerformance a
t nominal cruise up to 7500 feet is not a lot different
between?=0Athe three (3-8 knots). The two blade Sen is ligh
ter (19 pounds) and?=0Anoisier. The three blade WD is heavy
 at 26 pounds and the WW is slightly?=0Alighter and spins
 faster on start.?=0A?=0AData for the three indicate the
WW climbs slightly better (50 fpm) and is?=0Afaster than th
e WD at 7500-10,000 feet by about 5-6 knots at 5000/31 and
?=0Aabout equal at the lower altitudes and lower RPMs. The
two blade Sensenich?=0Ais slightly slower than the WW (2-3
knots) but equal in climb to the WW three blade, but it
is?=0Anoisier. I do like the two blade as it is easier
to remove the cowl on a?=0Atrigear aircraft with it install
ed.?=0A?=0AThe wide chord WD is brutally strong, wears lik
e iron and will mow the grass?=0Aon most fields without r
equiring any cleanup. Chips can be cared for with?=0Aepoxy.
Typically the WD will go many years before needing blade ser
vice.?=0AEach blade costs about $100 US for a complete refu
rbishment. Then its good?=0Afor another ten years. The finish
 is flat paint and the nickel tape is flat?=0Aalso, so
it's not a classy looking blade with its square tips. The
tapered?=0Ablades lower the inertial forces during start and
I have said "The tapered blades are?=0Aonly good for conver
ting fuel into noise as far as I'm concerned", but that?=0A
is unfair. They are just slow.?=0A?=0ABoth the Sensenich a
nd WW have nickel leading edges but have a clear coat?=0A
over it so the clear coat tends to wear off in rain and
sand (what we have?=0Amostly in Florida). It makes the prop
 look nasty after a year of hard flying without?=0Atouchup.
 Of course both of these blades are hollow core (Sensenich)
or foam?=0A(WW) so care must be taken if damage is eviden
t.?=0A?=0AI must admit my favorite for looks and performan
ce is the WW. My favorite?=0Afor engine maintenance and CG
is the Sensenich, and if I was operating off?=0Aof an uni
mproved field full of rocks, I'd take the performance hit an
d fly?=0Athe WD.?=0A?=0AJim Butcher is going to test th
e WW blades against his WD blades on his 914 mono. Then
we will?=0Acompare notes and publish the data formally.?=0A?
=0AI've attached a document from my website on propeller te
sting techniques on the Europa.?=0ATake a look at the techn
iques page and down load the pdf.?=0A?=0AIt always amazes
me that folks do not do extensive testing of their aircraft.
 I realize that when built straight, this aircraft is nearly
 bullet proof so why bother.?=0AThat said, it is gratifying
 to do a 2000 mile cross country in your bird and only
have to put gas in and be able to look at the range yo
u need and simply adjust the throttle?=0Ato get the desired
 miles per gallon necessary for the winds to flight plan.
This is possible because you have iron clad data on your a
ircraft/engine/propeller you personally have tested.?=0A?=0AI ho
pe this helps.?=0A?=0ABest Regards,?=0ABud Yerly?=0ACustom
Flight Creations.?=0A-----Original Message----- From: Davids?=0ASe
nt: Wednesday, October 14, 2015 4:30 PM?=0ATo: europa-list@matr
onics.com?=0ASubject: Re: Europa-List: Airmaster Whirlwind blades?
=0A?=0A--> Europa-List message posted by: Davids <stranfaer
@btinternet.com>?=0A?=0ARichard I am looking at this at t
he moment but need some support from the?=0Acommunity?=0A?
=0ASent from my iPhone?=0A?=0A> On 14 Oct 2015, at 20