Re: Europa-List: Arblast PV50 C/Speed Propeller DC Motor Replacement

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Arblast PV50 C/Speed Propeller DC Motor Replacement
From: Kevin Kedward <kpeng1@hotmail.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2015 12:37:24

That's funny, I've got all brand new components from EMS ltd delivered on 13th
Oct sitting on my desk ! I recall emailing you on the 21st Sept a quotation copy
of the said parts. I have the brass screw thread, the turned part the brass
screw is mounted in. Also the bearings. If you re-visit your emails from me Alan
I asked if I could borrow your old aluminium mounting turned part so we could
get it reverse engineered.... ?

K Kedward
                   G-okev

Sent from my iPhone

> On 15 Oct 2015, at 11:19, Alan Carter <alancarteresq@onetel.net> wrote:
>

> Hello All on Forum.
>
> First of all i must say a big thank you to Ms Tendai Mugweni  who gave me an
excellent help and service, as an Ex  CAA Examiner I rarely would give 10/10 but
the score is 11.
> So if you need a motor this is the place to go.
> Electro Mechanical Systems Ltd
> www.ems-limited.co.uk
>
> Tel: 0118 9817391
>
> Arblast Propellers as you know have ceased trading so spares are difficult to
obtain, I have been looking for the small electric motor which changes the
propellers
pitch.
> After many e-mail and phone calls i have finally tracked down the components,
I have done all the hard work so here it is my PV50 flyers.

> CS Unit Drive.
> Its a small electric motor which drives a planetary gear head which  then
> mechanically
turns a jack screw forward or backwards either increases or decreases
the blade pitch angle.
> The amount of and aft movement of the jack screw is controlled by two micro
> switches,
connected to the  DC motor and reversing the polarity changes the motors
direction of rotation .

> This is the motor and fitting kit, the Gear Head is at extra cost and not
> listed
here, but its 246 to 1 drive ratio gear head if you need one.

> Note  the first two numbers refer to the motors diameter ie 23 or 22 the last
two numbers are the voltage 12 or 06.
> Seems to me that all the PV50s CS unit had 6 volt motors on the aircrafts 12v
system as mine is and i expect yours is, when measured gives 11.9v at the
terminal
on the motor.
> On the motors end a small plastic plate cover states FAULHABER  Made in
> Germany
, 2224U006SR, R59,  3909.
> The R59 denotes the motor has coils at the segment end.
>
> The 2224U0006SR isnt a like for like replacement for the 2224U006SR-59, due to
the special option 59, which means that the motor has coils for end/commutator
seg secured with special adhesive

> So your identical replacement would  be a 2224U006SR, R59,  3909, But i have
used the 2224U006SR. at 67.5 which works well, But an upgrade to match the
aircrafts
system of 12v would be the 2342S12CR at 167.5
> but in doing this you would need the G23m16 fitting kit to attach it to the
> Gear
Head, ( i have not done this yet but think the fitting kit is the blue alloy
collar in which the two ie Motor and Gear Head are joined in with adhesive.)

> The Gear Head is 246 to 1 as used  by Arblast but it is possible to have a 406
to 1 which is slower but puts the motor under less load, but  better go for
the more expensive 12v motor.
> Back at the rear of this lot is a housing with the two Micro Switches which
> have
a diode  across two of the terminal, The mirco switches levers run along a
shaft and are set at the propeller Fine and Course stops.

> Removal of Motor.
> To remove the Motor, unsolder or cut the two wires as close as possible to the
motors terminals, Remove the tape from the shaft.
> The Blue Alloy Collar with light pressure applied to a pair of grips turn the
Collar to brake seal, then unscrew by hand, Gently withdraw the motor and pinion
---From the gear box.
> Be careful not to disturb the planetary gears as you withdraw motor and
> pinion,
and the fine metal gear retaining washer in front of the gear box.
> With the motor now out, On a table look for and remove the fine hair wire  U
clip. Which is Bond in at one end, ( God knows what this is for, seems to doing
nothing as i see it) ????
> Be careful not to loose it. ( But if you can see a use for it, i would like to
know.)
> Remove the Blue Collar from the motor, by unscrewing the 3 small screws inside
the collar.
> Now pull the collar off from the motor, the two surfaces may  have been bonded
with Loctite 638,  mine was not. (But it is Recommend as listed in text.)
> Now you have the little motor in your hand.
> Replace in reverse order.
> When bonding the motor to the gearhead we suggest you use adhesive Loctite 638
this offers high strength, high temperature resistance and is ideal for bonding
small gaps.
> Before re soldering the wire two the motor, hold the wires on terminals to
> check
the prop works in correct direction/ toggle switch up for fine, toggle down
for course.
> change wires round the other way if it dose not work, check, then finally
> solder
wires onto terminals.
> No Workshop Manual is Available , So that,s it.
>
> DC Motors.
>
> 1-4pcs   2342S012CR        119.08 + VAT                    Due to stock
> availability
in Switzerland (subject to prior sales) the lead time is estimated at
2  3 working weeks from receipt of an

                 order/payment.

> 1-4pcs   2224U006SR       56.25 + VAT                      Due to stock
> availability
at EMS(subject to prior sales) therefore please consider 2-3 working days
---From receipt of an order/payment.

> Fitting kits are generally provided free of charge when ordered with a
> gearhead
but when ordered separately please note the buy prices would be as follows;

> G23m18 (Kit required when fitting a 2224U006SR to 23/1 gearhead)        18.85
+ VAT      please consider 2-3 working weeks