Re: Europa-List: fuel tank leak

Subject: Re: Europa-List: fuel tank leak
From: Fred Klein <fklein@orcasonline.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Sep 2015 16:31:43
Richardthank you for your pixs and clear description of the
issue and how you=99ve dealt with itI find that Aircraft
Spruce has umpteen fuel sealant productscan you let us know
which product you=99ve had success with?

Fred

> On Sep 12, 2015, at 2:00 PM, Richard Parzoch <rparzoch@hvc.rr.com>
wrote:

> I finished and first flown my Europa XS at the end of 2005 and have
flown it regularly for a total of over 700 hours. I purchased a kit as a
monowheel and converted it during building process to conventional
tailwheel setup with the help of Bob Berube in Florida. Other than that
everything was built per factory specs including fuel tank mount. The
aircraft was always hangared.
> About two months ago I came to my hangar only to dicover strong
gasoline smell and a blue stain on the floor. I took the easy route
first replacing fuel hoses and fittings even though I couldn't see any
obvious wear and tear.  Then I had to face the unthinkable that the fuel
tank itself developed a leak somehow. The bottom of my plane has a
inspection plate at the bottom right after the gear and after looking I
confirmed that the port side of the tank had a leak at the bottom.
> I cut out about 6 x 8 " plate from the bottom of the fuselage and
exposed the leak. It was a crack where the reinforcing fiberglass was
glued to the tank. I sealed it with the thick layer of tank sealer from
Aircraft Spruce and so far it has been holding. I flew the aircraft for
about  eight hours since.

<image001.png><image002.png><image003.jpg><image004.jpg><image005.png><ima
ge006.jpg><image007.png><image008.jpg>