Europa-List: Re: Rotax 914-UL

Subject: Europa-List: Re: Rotax 914-UL
From: Roland <schmidtroland@web.de>
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2015 02:32:54

Although I was a victim of an overboost a few years ago and thus  already needed
to replace the engine, I would always go for a 914 again, especially since my
flying is normally around FL 100 but also often above. At MTOM in FL 100 I see
TAS around 125 kt at 19 l/h.

In my experience the 914 runs happily on 95 octane premium car fuel (I refuel at
the car station on my trailer almost any time) up to temperatures of 40C OAT
and up to FL 160 without any hiccup. I cannot remember Rotax recommending
another
fuel for the 914 compared to the 912S.

Another clear plus is, that the 914 is not at all prone to carburetor icing (at
least without intercooler).

Still the best Rotax engine in my opinion.

Regards
Roland
PH-ZTI
XS Trigear 914