Re: Europa-List: Rotax 914-UL

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Rotax 914-UL
From: Robert Borger <rlborger@mac.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2015 07:40:58
Phil,

I only have good to say for my 914UL.  Except for some overtightened
carb bowls (old torque specs) it has proven to be virtually trouble
free.  It pulls my Tri off the ground quickly, very brisk acceleration,
climb out at 1400 fpm.  At 6500=92, 29=94 MP, 5000 RPM provides 138 kts
true and 3.9 gph. I=92m sure the Airmaster C/S prop helps with all
these.  I use 100LL exclusively as MoGas is not available on any of the
airfields from which I operate regularly and I don=92t like carting
around big jugs of MoGas.  Just means I have to change the oil more
frequently and watch the lower plugs for fouling.  Alcor TCP or Decalin
RunUp seem to help on those lead issues.

I can=92t imagine what the Europa would do with the new 915.

Blue skies & tailwinds,
Bob Borger
Europa XS Tri, Rotax 914, Airmaster C/S Prop (75 hrs).
Little Toot Sport Biplane, Lycoming Thunderbolt AEIO-320 EXP
3705 Lynchburg Dr.
Corinth, TX  76208-5331
Cel: 817-992-1117
rlborger@mac.com

<flyingphil627-europastuff@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

<flyingphil627-europastuff@yahoo.co.uk>

> Hi,
>
> This is not a Europa related question as such but there are a fair few
Europa owners with a Rotax 914-UL.

> Does anyone with a 914 have anything really good or bad to say about
the engine?  Are the running / maintenance costs greatly different to a
912-ULS?  Does it use mogas or avgas just as well?  Are there any horror
stories related to it or is it just as good as the 912 but with an extra
boost when you need it?