RE: Europa-List: Help Needed

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Help Needed
From: Peter Jeffers <pjeffers@talktalk.net>
Date: Thu, 6 Aug 2015 09:24:33

Hi,
I have built a mono Europa from scratch and then flew it for some 1,800 hrs.
I had previously flown many types of gliders and light aircraft, amassing
about 700 hrs power and 1,500 hrs gliding. I was a fully categorised gliding
instructor and have spent 10 yrs as a class rated power instructor for the
Light Aero Association in the UK.
I only mention the above so that you have some idea of the validity of what
I am about to say.
The Mono Europa is not an easy aircraft to land or take off safely. In the
hands of an 'above average experience' pilot with tail dragger hours the
Mono is a delight to fly but challenging. The Mono is definitely not
suitable for early training. Be careful also as I am led to believe that
getting insurance cover for a Mono in the USA is between difficult and
impossible.
Bearing in mind that you appear to already have the kit I would strongly
urge you to consider building it as a Tri-Gear. Unfortunately this would
involve you in some more expense, but it is a much more user friendly
aircraft to fly.
If you continue to build as a Mono then it is only a matter of time, after
completion, before an incident will occur and whoever was flying it will be
put off flying for life.
One last recommendation is to power the aircraft with the engine it was
designed for, ie Rotax 912 or 914.  Many alternative engines have been
installed in the past but each requires a different 'fire wall forward' kit.
Only the Rotax series of engines can be fitted with the Europa Aircraft
standard kit. The Rotax engine powers most Europas world wide and has proved
to be very reliable.  This last comment cannot be said for certain other
Engines.
If you have need for any further communication then please ask.

Best regards and good wishes for your very commendable project

Pete Jeffers  (LAA Inspector for the Europa Club)