RE: Europa-List: Camloc for cowling

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Camloc for cowling
From: Greg Fuchs <gregoryf.flyboy@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2015 05:29:49
Similar to camloc, I used southco fasteners (on the upper to lower cowl
only, since it will be removed often) as pointed out in mod 10405 by Nigel
Charles (found on the Europa club website). They allow the cowling to
install quickly.  My fasteners didn't perectly match the shape of the bowl
in the tinnerman washers. Possibly the shape changed over time. They will
not 'quite' sit flat. I pounded the southco into the tinnerman with a hammer
using a formed backing to give it more 'like a glove' fit.
Washers or shims can be used on the receptacle to allow the same length
fastener at all attachment points.
They can be lost easily, since they are not anchored to the cowling when it
is removed off the aircraft. Work however, they do (said Yoda).

For those who use this mod, plan to lay plies to keep the two cowling
flanges in line with each other as pointed out else-where (lower cowlings
single flange sandwiches into upper cowling double flange). That way, the
fasteners poking through the upper cowling don't have to reach far to grab
the receptacle in the lower cowling. Reach far, they won't. (oh boy..must be
tired)

  _____