Re: Europa-List: Re: Typical mass of =?UTF-8?Q?paint=3F?

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: Typical mass of =?UTF-8?Q?paint=3F?
From: davidjoyce@doctors.org.uk
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2015 09:54:05

Clive, unless there has been a slip of the typewriter or the brain 236 -
218 = 18kg or 39.6lbs. It does raise the question as to whether gel coat
is not actually lighter, and my gel coated/914/wobbly prop/fully eqipped
XS is one of the lightest in the fleet. It only takes perfect
preparation of an absolutely true, absolutely matt surface, one coat of
gel coat sprayed by an expert, then you wet and dry most (?2/3) of it
off. No primer, no UV coat needed and I am pretty certain my expert
didn't use 40 lbs anyway before I sanded most of it off. The other
advantage is that you end up with the perfect laminar flow surface -
feels just like a young lady's thigh (although such memories are sadly
fading!)

Regards, David Joyce, GXSDJ (833lbs)

On 2015-07-21 08:42, Clive Sutton wrote:

> As I have just finished this task I thought I'd update those interested as to
the results.

> I paid an expert to do the painting but did much of the hard graft (yes,
> sanding
and fill, sand and fill - weep - sand and fill . . . ) myself - about 150
hours of work. The before/after mass figures for the whole mono airframe without
anything else installed (but including u/c) were: 218kg before, 236kg after
- so about 30lbs added due to painting and finishing. It took 3 coats of Lesonol
540 primer and 3 coats of 2-pack acrylic and plenty of sanding/profiling and
wet-flatting in between each primer coat.

> One interesting piece of advice was to try and avoid choosing any 'special'
> tint
of topcoat white and to write down what paint was used - so that any subsequent
touch-ups or resprays are not made more difficult by trying to match colours.

> Read this topic online here:
>
> http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=445008#445008 [1]

Links:
------