Re: Europa-List: Fuel Tank Leak

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Fuel Tank Leak
From: Ken Carpenter <kbcarpenter@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2015 17:15:07

First, be sure the source.  I thought I had a tank leak and turned out to be the
fitting at the bottom of the tank.  Redid all the hoses and leak solved.  Others
have not been so lucky.

Sent from my iPad
Ken Carpenter

> On Jul 13, 2015, at 4:11 PM, Dave Disney <davedisney@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>

> The day after flying back from the Shuttleworth DOTH I noticed a strong smell
of fuel in the hanger. Investigation led to mopping out about a litre of fuel
---From under the baggage bay area.

> Further investigation has proved that the fuel tank is leaking. Strangely,  it
only begins to leak when 35+ litres of fluid is in the tank. I've taken the
wings off and checked as best I can to identify where the leak is, but haven't
identified exactly where it is coming from other than it is from the reserve
(starboard) side of the tank.

> I really don't fancy the idea of ripping out and replacing the tank, so I want
to investigate all options before rushing in. Has anyone investigated using
a bag tank inside the existing tank?

> My previous aircraft, a Glos Airtourer, had a bag tank as do many military and
other aircraft, Piper Aztec springs to mind, so it should be possible. I'm
thinking
that access could be made between the headrests. Is this a structural
area, if so, how big an access would be allowable? In case you haven't guessed,
I'm not the builder of the aircraft but I would tackle replacing the plastic
fuel tank if I have to. I just don't like the idea of removing some of the
structural
elements of the aircraft to replace a tank with a new one that could
suffer the same fate sometime in the future. At least a bladder tank can be
removed
and repaired if necessary.