Re: Europa-List: Re: Lack of space between exhaust and coolant hose.

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: Lack of space between exhaust and coolant hose.
From: Kevin Challis <cakeykev@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2015 23:13:47

I moved the rad back as far as possible. Silicone pipe with silicone heat sleeve
as well. It appears much better but it's only been just over a year.

Kevin Challis

> On 10 Apr 2015, at 21:35, graeme bird <graeme@gdbmk.co.uk> wrote:
>

> my silicon water pipe, the port side, the bent one to the radiator, split
> today,
thankfully I was over the strip and shut off. It had been in place for about
160 hours/3 years having moved the radiator back after nearly burning through
the original one during test flying.  I thought silicon would last forever
but it seems to have stiffened. In fact I am coming to the conclusion that on
shutting down the close exhaust causes the static hot water in the pipe to boil
and pressure builds at this point. It is this that used to cause a small weep
that others have seen. I blocked that with a hefty clamp long ago, so there
is no release and the stiffening pipe finally split- a 2" clean rupture.
> So I shall change it each 100 hours in future and add some insulation around
it. Perhaps I'll add a baffle in between and sleeve the pipe to prevent
expansion.