RE: Europa-List: Re: Knowing the actual fuel level?

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Re: Knowing the actual fuel level?
From: Paul McAllister <paul.the.aviator@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2015 12:55:40

I have a similar system as Ira describes based off Tony K's design using a
PIC micro that drives a 10 segment LED display.  Its calibrated to take care
of the shape of the tank and each segment is a linear progression, aka ~ 1.8
gallons per segment.

It has been trouble free for 10 years and the only issue is that is reads
high for a little while when climbing and low when descending until it
settles out. The sensor is differential with one side in the lowest point of
the fuel system and the other in the tank vent.  I never did get to the
bottom of the climbing / descending issue.

I like Ira's approach using more modern technology such as the Arduino with
a touch sensitive LCD screen. Mine is older technology and finicky thing to
get working