Re: Europa-List: flap cross-tube hinge alignment query

Subject: Re: Europa-List: flap cross-tube hinge alignment query
From: Jan de Jong <jandejong@casema.nl>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2015 11:32:09

Hi Rowland,
I am hardly the expert you are looking for (I'm not even quite at your
stage of build), but I would do to the bid whatever is necessary and
reinforce the slot in the bid with 3 layers of bid or so - rear surface
top, lap onto the bottom left and lap onto the bottom right.
Jan de Jong

On 2/12/2015 10:16 PM, Rowland Carson wrote:

> Monowheel XS, building in UK.
>
> Today I thought Id be bonding in to the fuselage floor the FL18 hinge brackets
for the FL15 flap actuator cross-tube. I have already rigged the wings with
the cross-tube connecting both flaps, the FL18s secured to a straight-edge and
the FL15 lugs clamped to the FL16 hinges. The whole thing seems to operate quite
smoothly over the whole range when I crouch in the rear fuselage and operate
it from the lug near the centre.

> However, when I got to the part where I remove the hinge screws and stretch a
string between the inner flap hinges on the wings to line up the holes in the
FL18 brackets, I couldnt get the line straight.

> I photographed the nylon monofilament line, looking along its length, and
> measurements
on the pictures suggest the brackets need to move forward by between
1.8mm and 2.2mm. I also tried using a laser pointer to provide similar data,
shining it through the wing-mounted flap hinge hole and through a 1.5mm orifice
centred on the nearer FL18 hole. This was tricky to achieve so the results may
be less reliable. Calculations based on how far off-centre the beam appeared
to hit the far FL18 suggest that each FL18 might need to move up to 2.7mm
forward.

> I have already chamfered the forward edge of both FL18 slightly to accommodate
the fillet of BID where the baggage bay meets the fuselage floor, but I dont
want to remove any more metal without some sort of reassurance. Im assuming that
cutting into the BID reinforcement between the baggage bay and the fuselage
floor is not desirable!