Europa-List: Re: Monowheel undercarriage 'up' stop?

Subject: Europa-List: Re: Monowheel undercarriage 'up' stop?
From: Clive Sutton <clive.maf@googlemail.com>
Date: Sun, 1 Feb 2015 02:11:07

An update for those interested:

MUDGUARD - two UK a/c have MOD 'schedules' for a fabricated mudguard you can
source
---From the LAA, G-RONA (10502) and G-BWZA (10111).  Both were pre-2001 when
the standard for then PFA MOD applications was changed, and as a result they
are a bit thin on detail, though the G-BWZA paperwork does have a picture of the
mudguard off the a/c.  However, I plan to design my own and use these as the
basis for a new 'repeat MOD' application.   I will consider John's ideas for
a 'spade' type deflector behind the wheel to reduce the throw-up of muck from
the wheel onto the fuselage behind it - though a fuselage-mounted fairing
incorporating
a deflector might be an alternative.  A drag-reducing fairing in front
of the wheel is another idea I'm thinking about.  On the wider drag-reduction
front, Andy agreed that there is quite some potential to improve it - by
reducing
gaps or closing over holes in the general u/c area - which I'll also look
at.

UPSTOP - in a discussion with Andy Draper recently, he agreed that some kind of
reinforced bracketry on either side of the tunnel opening (probably in the area
where the front of each seat base meets the tunnel) to prevent swinging arm
travel beyond the horizontal, would be a good idea.  Apparently, he experienced
a wheels-up landing himself, and in that case the tyre contacted the throttle
box moulding - which given its relatively small contact area, i imagine would
rather quickly ruin the central portion of the tyre.  I'm planning to design
and install such bracketry, and will post a pic here once ready.  It will
probably
need to feature 'toblerone' type shapes made from plywood, suitably glassed
in to the structure whilst maintaining at least a 5mm or so gap between it
and the arm leg in the gear-up position.  I'll also need to move the brake line
that currently runs along the top edge of the arm - that would contact this
bracketry in the event of a wheels-up landing situation.

Constructive comments and advice on the benefits or tribulations of previous
attempts
to implement the same or similar, always welcome.

regards,

Clive  G-CILF

Read this topic online here: