Europa-List: Monowheel undercarriage 'up' stop?

Subject: Europa-List: Monowheel undercarriage 'up' stop?
From: Clive Sutton <clive.maf@googlemail.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2014 03:02:04

I'm doing the LA mod to the tunnel which lets me see the lock up and lock down
operations of the UC in more detail (through the sidewall holes presently cut
for the mod) than one can normally see from underneath the a/c.  I notice that
in the locked up position, the tundra wheel is still free to move upwards about
10-15mm before the calliper brake hose union contacts the fuselage in the area
of an encpasulated rudder cable run.

Apart from the possible irritation of hearing 'bumps' in the air as the wheel
moves
up and down a little under varying G forces, it made me wonder about what
happens in the case of an intentional or unintentional wheels-up landing, and
that such a situation may at least reduce controllability as the UC articulation
takes out one rudder cable - and indeed after that- a that it might then go
on to contact the throttle lever moulding etc.

Could anyone comment on if they see this as a real concern or not, and if any
potential
up-stop solutions exist?  Views of anyone who has had the misfortune
to repair the damage caused during a wheels-up landing would be especially
welcome.

Also wondering about if a mudguard fixed to the arm might be good idea

?

Regards,  Clive (Kit 121- now registered as G-CILF)

Read this topic online here: