Europa-List: Re: Trim Tabs

Subject: Europa-List: Re: Trim Tabs
From: jonathanmilbank <jdmilbank@yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2014 12:03:30

My Classic Europa also rolls a little to the right at cruise speed when I'm
carrying
a passenger, although it flies wings level when I'm alone. Rather than glue
on tabs to flying surfaces, I went the internal elastic bias route.

At the bottom of the pilot's stick there is a bolt which secures it into the
socket.
The thread from the bolt pokes through the nut to the rear of the socket
with several thread turns to spare, so it's a simple matter to turn another nut
"backwards" onto the thread until it butts against the first nut. This pair
of nuts now provides a concave groove between them.

On the left sidewall of the fuselage, nearest to the pair of nuts and in line
with
the left-right deflection of the stick, I cut a small "X" in the carpet to
expose a 1" square of fibre-glass which I cleaned and then bonded on a plastic
anchor of the type used to support bundles of electric wires.

All that remains is to attach two or three elastics of the type which our post
lady uses to hold bundles of letters together and "Voila" you can stretch as
many
of them across to the pair of nuts as you wish, to eliminate any strong right
roll tendency. Of course they aren't strong enough to present any kind of
hazard to flying control.

Read this topic online here: