Re: Europa-List: Re: Ground/earth

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: Ground/earth
From: Steven Pitt <steven.pitt2@ntlworld.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2014 16:01:46

Ira/Ferg/Peter
Your input came at just the moment I am rewiring my radio and transponder
equipment for mode S and 8.33khz and I was reviewing my ground/earth
installation.
As a non aviation electrician I have always been confused by these concepts
and the issue of earth loops so can I ask for clarification.
Shielded wire for the mikes and phones are shown as connected in the Trig
diagrams so that suggests to me that connecting them all together and then
running one wire back to the battery negative contact would be the way to
go.
But then what about the ground strap to the engine block and the PTT wires
which are shown as 'earthed'. How can you do that in a plastic aircraft.
Sorry if this is really basic and although I have been flying for 8 years in
'DH I have always been uncertain that I had wired up the grounds correctly.
Regards
Steve