Re: Europa-List: multiple trim switches solution is not always a relay

Subject: Re: Europa-List: multiple trim switches solution is not always a relay
From: Sky Mail <richard.churchillcoleman@sky.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2014 10:44:43

Rowland

I recently investigated using a Vertical Power system as the relay and speed
controller
for my elevator trim servo with stick top switches, with some advice
---From Tony Kay.  In brief, Tony spoke to Andy Draper who confirmed that, due
the critical nature of the trim on an all-moving tailplane such as the Europa,
the LAA wouldn't sanction any electronic controller/device in the trim circuit
between the trim switch and the servo, in case of failure.  I believe the RAC
relay deck is ok because it switches the power but doesn't try to electronically
control it.

On that basis, would this unit be permitted - I'm not sure where it goes in the
circuit?

Richard CC

> Its primary function is to allow for the trim servo speed to be adjusted - I
understand some folk have found the natural speed of the servo too high for
their
liking - but as bonus you can add as many extra trim switches as you want.
(eg one on the panel and one on each stick-top.) I have fitted one to my trim
circuit and in my tests so far (not yet flying) I find it is entirely
satisfactory.
In the picture of my panel (I posted a link to it yesterday) the small
hole at bottom left adjacent to the trim switch is for screwdriver adjustment
of the trim speed.