Re: Europa-List: antennas

Subject: Re: Europa-List: antennas
From: Bud Yerly <budyerly@msn.com>
Date: Sun, 1 Jun 2014 10:04:53

Craig and others.
My Sportys SP400 with ear piece hooked to my headset works great at low
altitude line of sight with the rubber duckie.
For long range communications using a handheld radio in our IFR aircraft we
use an Advanced Aircraft Electronics carbon fiber antenna ($120 US). Just
add a coax to the passenger headrest and you have an easy to grab and use
handheld antenna that is clear and able to go line of sight over 50 nm.
VOR/Localizer operations work very well, but I wouldn't fly an approach on
it.

In other aircraft, the ELT becomes a pain to make a ground plane for, then
make a mount for the whip antenna, then secure it, etc.  I now use the AAE
antenna for that also.  In one aircraft, the customer asked me to put his
ELT coax into the headrest and break the coax there for his handheld, just
in case he needs his handheld.  Not recommended, but it works.

The antenna is added just behind the bulkhead (basically aligned on an angle
with the bulkhead) curving along the fuselage.  Works great even up to a 45
degree angle.  VHF NAV antennas work very well centered on the top inside of
the fuselage bent around the bulkhead.  I prefer to install them just behind
the doors as the curve is wider, and the reception on VOR/Localizer/GS with
a splitter is excellent.

Of course you can save some money and build an antenna, but to me, in 30
minutes, I'm done.  Hooked up but held up until the flox cures.  ( I use
super glue to tack the antenna in place until the flox dries.)  It takes
longer to undo the D panel, and put in my belly board to slide in the rear
than it takes to put the antenna in. (Don't forget to block the tail up in a
trigear!)   If you made your conduits large enough for upgrades, you have no
problem.  If you didn't, run the coax through the tunnel, along the front of
the tank and up into the headrest.  Secure it well as you are near cables
and flight controls.  Great annual project.

Just my thoughts.

Regards,
Bud Yerly