Europa-List: Re: Europa-List: RE: Europa-List: Re: Europa-

Subject: Europa-List: Re: Europa-List: RE: Europa-List: Re: Europa-
From: GRAHAM SINGLETON <grahamsingleton@btinternet.com>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2014 21:27:38
=?utf-8?B?TGlzdDogUmU6IEV1cm9wYSBjcmFzaCBpbiBMw4PCvGJlY2svR2VybWFueQ==?

Max=0Ais it feasible for you to enclose the exhaust pipe by adding a final
tunnel for cooling air exit? There=0Ais a lot of energy in the exhaust and
it will pull the cooling air through on the ground. Works with Lycomings.
=0AGraham=0A=0A=0A=0A=0A________________________________=0A From: Max Coint
e (Free) <mcointe@free.fr>=0ATo: europa-list@matronics.com =0ASent: Tuesday
, 13 May 2014, 18:58=0ASubject: RE: Europa-List: RE: Europa-List: Re: Europ
a-List: Re: Europa crash in L=C3=83=C2=BCbeck/Germany=0A =0A=0A=0AHi Bud,
=0A=C2-=0AA lot of respect for your knowledge about flying (safely) in ge
neral and building and flying Europa=99s in particular.=0AThe only po
int in your list which I can=99t execute belongs to temp in summer: a
lways cooling problems on ground and have to be cautious as soon as hot wea
ther comes=0A=C2-=0AMax=C2- Cointe=0Amcointe@free.fr=0AF-PMLH
Europa XS_TriGear=0AKit #560-2003 912ULS/AirmasterAP332 490 hours=0A=C2-
=0AF-PLDJ Dyn=99A=C3=A9ro MCR 4S =0AKit #27-2002 912ULSFR/MTProp MTV7
A 1600 heures=0A=C2-=0ADe=C2-:owner-europa-list-server@matronics.com [m
ailto:owner-europa-list-server@matronics.com] De la part de Bud Yerly=0AEnv
oy=C3=A9=C2-: lundi 12 mai 2014 06:29=0A=C3=C2-: europa-list=0AObjet
=C2-: Europa-List: RE: Europa-List: Re: Europa-List: Re: Europa crash in
L=C3=83=C2=BCbeck/Germany=0A=C2-=0AGraham and others.=0A=C2-=0AGood com
ment on the leading edge curve.=C2- My Classic wing has that slight cup s
anded and filled off by my painter.=C2- It has a bit of a sharp stall lik
e a normal series 6 airfoil.=0A=C2-=0AOn the accident comments:=0AI hate
to speculate, but the accident investigator training and extensive flight e
nvelope expanding time I have acquired, leads=C2-me to use caution specul
ating at this time and to causes and early on assumptions on=C2-should ha
ve had equipment, etc.=0A=C2-=0AThe initial test phase of the Europa (or
any aircraft)=C2-needs to make sure it is made in baby steps.=0AAfter bui
lding 18 aircraft 15 of which are Europas=C2-(yes=C2-I am starting our
16th Europa in the shop) and test flying many other owners aircraft, many t
hings can cause a takeoff leg stall spin type accident.=C2- =0A=C2-=0AM
y last call from a US accident inspector was a very long time ago.=C2- He
re is what we discussed on a takeoff leg, attempted turn=C2-back and high
 angle impact deadly crash of an experienced pilot and seasoned aircraft.
=0A=C2-=0AOff the top of my fuzzy balding head:=0AOn takeoff the Europa h
as a very good rate of climb and deck angle.=C2- In testing of 12AY (a Cl
assic) with 914, the full flap takeoff has a deck angle of 10 degrees (and
=C2-about a 12.5 degree=C2-angle of attack) at 55 Knots.=C2- When pul
ling the power back abruptly during test, at 55 knots, I found only 3 secon
ds with the nose up pushed me into the stall warning.=0A=C2-=0ASince the
full flap approach angle power of the my old Classic is about 8 degrees gli
de slope or so, one can see that it requires a 13 degree push over to try t
o preserve airspeed and control.=0A=C2-=0ALesson for everybody:=C2- Rec
overy from a takeoff engine failure requires an aggressive nose down push t
o preserve airspeed.=0A=C2-=0AClean, it wasn't much better, in fact with
the 914 at 65 knots the deck angle is close to 15 degrees and the results w
ere a very rapid bleed off unless a push over to nose slightly below the ho
rizon=C2- (about 5 degrees) was necessary to preserve airspeed.=0A=C2-
=0ATo the comments on the web regarding AOA and flight testing:=0AA new pil
ot checking his aircraft out is not safe by adding equipment to help determ
ine his AOA.=C2- These systems require calibration and testing.=C2- I d
oubt these folks had time to test and calibrate aircraft systems in flight
test yet.=C2- Un-calibrated equipment often times leads to more cockpit d
istractions early on.=0A=C2-=0AI have no data on this accident and doubt
I or we will get much other than stall spin accident.=0A=C2-=0AMy flight
test comments are as follows:=0AWe know that in the preflight phase, Annex
E for wing angles/tail plane angles and control throws=C2-is not enough.
=C2- Retract=C2-tests are essential to verify gear lock, flap position/
operation, and outrigger lock=C2-operates full proof. =C2-The engine an
d fuel system must be bullet proof at level and max angle nose up.=C2- Th
e fuel system must be able to go from empty to fully primed at max angle wi
th only 5 gallons total (the main and reserve side holding 2.5 each across
the saddle) in=C2-5 seconds or less.=C2- Complete Wt. and Balance and a
 review of max forward, aft and test flight loads and CGs verified on the W
t and Bal form.=C2- (I normally will fly with a minimum of 10 gallons US
on test flights.)=C2- The engine must run flawlessly idle to full and not
 overheat on the ground for 20-25 minutes running at summer time temps.=0A
=C2-=0AThe electrical system must be able to handle the load, and if ther
e is a cockpit smoke situation, battery off, the engine must run with ignit
ion only.=C2- (914s don't forget the Aux pump operation.)=0A=C2-=0AAll
engine instruments and flight instruments/equipment (pitot and static) must
 be verified for accuracy and operation prior to flight. (Read as no red li
ght distractions on takeoff or funky airspeed and altitude indications).=C2
- Trim must be checked and verified operational.=0A=C2-=0AAll aux syste
ms must be operational or placarded and left off. (Radio is a must, Transpo
nder is often required, ELT operational, (I turn AOA and Autopilots off).
=0A=C2-=0AThe night before, I chair fly and prepare for the flight.=C2-
 I go over aircraft systems, test parameters, panel layout and specifics of
 complex electrical systems.=0A=C2-=0AFlight one is 15 minutes to check f
or runs drips and errors.=C2- (Immediate acceleration to 75 and climb at
90.) (Normally I can fly one of our planes hands off, feet only,=C2-half
way down the 4000 foot strip above 50 feet.)=C2-Climb to 2500 feet or so
and check the=C2-trim and rig from 70 to 100 Knots.=C2-=C2-Return to
the pattern,=C2-80 on downwind, no slower than 75 in the turns, and no sl
ower than 70 on final.=C2- One of two low approaches if in a mono is OK.
=C2- Land and pull the cowl and inspect.=C2-=C2- Fix any and everythi
ng you found abnormal.=0A=C2-=0AFlight two expands the envelope to check
engine climb temps and performance.=C2- Check CS prop operation, and clim
b 3 mistakes high and do A/S verification, stalls, falls and pitch and roll
 stability.=C2- Typically our engines are flawless so it is only a 45 min
ute flight.=C2- If all goes well and we have good stall characteristics,
he root to get a good early burble feel prior to stall.=0A=C2-=0AOnce I a
m convinced the pilot (who has normally flown in my aircraft for about 5 ho
urs and is very current in other types) is ready, I prebrief with him and h
and him the keys for a test hop.=0A=C2-=0AHowever, I have been guilty of
flying a test flight early into the flight phase dual.=C2- Confidence in
the aircraft has to be extremely high to do this.=C2- A thorough brief of
 what will happen if the engine quits on takeoff is a must.=C2- The aircr
aft is the last thing I will attempt to save.=C2- Two people flying an un
tested aircraft is too much exposure and sometimes weight.=C2- ( My rule
is the plane is not ready for test flight unless you are prepared to knock
on the test pilots door and explain her husband is dead, and there was noth
ing that you could=C2-have done to make the aircraft safer.)=0A=C2-=0AT
ypically in the flight phase we go out dual and do stalls, slow flight, adv
ance handling at minimum speeds and ascertain if the pilot is comfortable,
the stalls are predictable and easily recognized.=C2- ( I am the technica
l observer who is verifying airspeeds, pitch angles, stall buffet, system o
peration and calibration while the client flies.)=C2-=C2-This is where
the AOA, Autopilot etc.=C2-gets calibrated or rung out.=C2- =0A=C2-
=0AFrankly,=C2-my opinion is that=C2-an AOA systems in straight wing ai
rcraft is a waste of money for me and I prefer a=C2-well=C2-installed
=C2-stall strip (swept wing aircraft are different).=C2-=C2-That said
, after the 3rd 300 mile leg in 90F degree weather, sometimes it is nice to
 have=C2-"Bitching Betty" remind me that I am not paying attention.=C2-
 Fatigue and complacency do set in=C2-to us all.=C2-=0A=C2-=0AIf one
adds my vortex generators for STOL capability, watch your speed as the airc
raft handles so well down to 50 Knots clean, you could be falling with styl
e and not know it unless looking at the airspeed.=C2- Here is where an AO
A, Airspeed Warner like the Europa Stall indicator,=C2-and proper stall s
trip can be handy.=0A=C2-=0ARight now all I can do is pray for the famili
es heartbreak and learn from the lessons hard learned from previous=C2-ai
rcraft accidents and my own experiences.=C2-=C2- Then when appropriate,
 pass on the hard learned lessons to those who may benefit.=0A=C2-=0ARega
rds to all,=0ABud=0A=C2-=0A=C2-=0A=C2-=0A=C2-=0A=C2-=C2-=0A=C2
-=0A=C2-=0A=C2-=0A=0A=C2-=0A=0A________________________________=0A
=0ADate: Sun, 11 May 2014 23:03:53 +0100=0AFrom: grahamsingleton@btinternet
.com=0ASubject: Europa-List: Re: Europa-List: Re: Europa crash in L=C3=83
=C2=BCbeck/Germany=0ATo: europa-list@matronics.com=0AGraeme=0AI was referin
g to the Classic Europa wing. The section has a slight bump just=0Aunder th
e LE which is very easily sanded off. The nose radius is also quite small,
=0Aagain easy to sand off even with a sheet of fine abrasive round the LE.A
ccurate =0Atemplates are essential and the plans version isn't accurate eno
ugh for these subtle=0Acurves. That's what was wrong with G-KWIP's wing. Al
ways dropped L wing in a flaps down=0Astall.=0AGraham=0A=C2-=0A=C2-=0A
=0A________________________________=0A=0AFrom:graeme bird <graeme@gdbmk.co.
uk>=0ATo: europa-list@matronics.com =0ASent: Sunday, 11 May 2014, 18:57=0AS
ubject: Europa-List: Re: Europa crash in L=C3=83=C2=BCbeck/Germany=0A=0A-->
 Europa-List message posted by: "graeme bird" <graeme@gdbmk.co.uk>=0A=0AInt
eresting to hear that you can fly with a flap down; but for me a lot is goi
ng on just after take off, watching the gauges, the speed the VSI, changing
 prop pitch, unlocking to get the wheel up and pushing the leaver with the
right hand etc - maybe the spring/tension is a bit off if its first flight,
 I am not sure how I would cope if there were to be a sudden roll at that p
oint.=0A=0AYep I also value Grahams wisdom and contributions; I am just thi
nking of the message, unintentionally, its sending to current builders. The
 fact is hundreds have been made by imperfect amateurs and the stall charac
teristics are one of the first things explored during the test flights.=0A
=0A--------=0AGraeme Bird=0AG-UMPY=0AMono Classic/XS 912S/Woodcomp 3000/3W
=0ANewby: 105 hours 26 months on the Mono =0Ag@gdbmk.co.uk=0A=0A=0A=0A
=0ARead this topic online here:=0A=0Ahttp://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.
php?p=423188#423188=0Ap; =C2- =C2- =C2- =C2- =C2- =C2- =C2-
 =C2- -Matt Dralle, Libution" ========0A=0A=0A=0A=0A=0A=C2
-=0A=C2-=0A============0Atarget="_blank">http:/
/www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List=0A==========
==0Ahttp://forums.matronics.com=0A============0A=
"_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution=0A========
====0A=C2-=0A=C2-=0A=C2-=0A =C2-=C2-=C2-=C2-=C2-=C2
-=C2-=C2-=C2- - The Europa-List Email Forum -=0A--> http://www.matr
onics.com/Navigator?Europa-List=0A=C2-=C2-=C2-=C2-=C2-=C2-=C2
-=C2-=C2-=C2-=C2-=C2-=C2-=C2- - MATRONICS WEB FORUMS -=0A--
> http://forums.matronics.com=0A =C2-=C2-=C2-=C2-=C2-=C2-=C2-
=C2-=C2-=C2-=C2-=C2- - List Contribution Web Site -=0AThank you f
or your generous support!=0A=C2-=C2-=C2-=C2-=C2-=C2-=C2-=C2
-=C2-=C2-=C2-=C2-=C2-=C2-=C2-=C2-=C2-=C2-=C2-=C2-
=C2-=C2-=C2-=C2-=C2-=C2-=C2-=C2-=C2- -Matt Dralle, List A
=======