Europa-List: Blinking Charge Light

Subject: Europa-List: Blinking Charge Light
From: Guerner Remi <air.guerner@orange.fr>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2014 10:11:50

Hi,
I had the very same problem, the light blinking from time to time, in spite of
the voltage being ok. I checked all connections very carefully and improved the
grounding of the Ducati regulator. This did not solve the problem, so I bought
a new regulator to be carried in the aircraft as a spare and lived with that
problem for about one year. Then I decided to get rid of it: I disconnected
the warning light from the Ducati regulator and installed a separate high/low
voltage monitor (BC207-1 from B&C) to activate the light. This was one year ago
and I am still using the same regulator today. The bus voltage is still right
were it should be in all conditions. I thing the false warning problem was
coming
---From the regulator internal charge sensing circuitry which obviously is
not working properly. My regulator now has 900 hours total and 250 hours since
the intermittent warning first appeared.
Remi Guerner
F-PGKL, XS Monowheel, 912ULS, 1100 hours

<<<<<<<<<Our electrical system has worked without a problem for 500 hours and 5
years. Recently
the charge lite has begun to blink on and off while in flight. It is still
on solid at low rpm or engine off and gets dimmer and finally goes off as
the rpm is increased (around 3000 rpm). But during cruise at 5000 rpm, it blinks
off and on. And this behavior seems a little intermittent. First noticed it
2 flights ago. The next flight was fine and today it was fine for the first
half of the flight and then blinked the last half.

Yet the engine monitor shows the voltage constant at 13.2 volts and current into
the battery varying between 2 and 4 amps. These are the same as have been for
years.

Any ideas or suggestions?