Re: Europa-List: Nose wheel grease

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Nose wheel grease
From: Bud Yerly <budyerly@msn.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2014 15:13:28
Christoph,
I have used the heavy and medium Nye grease 868VH down to 868 as well as
the 774.  In very cold climates I would use the 868 or 774L or light
grease.   I also have put a smear of Slipit on the aluminum (a
woodworkers product) and if used sparingly, they all work.  So does a
bit of patience and just a good clean machined flat on the gear leg.

Hangup of the gear as it turns is due to the lack of a straight pivot
pin on the fork.  If it leans forward it makes taxiing straight a jog to
the left and right rather than smooth centerline tracking.  A touch of
Nye or slipit on the metal gear leg works fine.
I warn my customers never to use the grease dzerk on the front of the
gear.  Most folks are heavy handed and blow grease out the top and lower
seal.  Now you have no nose gear dampening.
On the annual, undo the nut to just on by a thread, lower the tail down
and and secure with weight on the tie down or by the stab tubes and pull
the nose fork off and hand lube the bearing, check the seal, clean and
inspect.  Inspect for uneven wear of the plastic disk.  Check the one
inch pin for security and alignment.  Repair / Replace as necessary.
While you have the fork off, do the wheel bearings at the same time.
Tighten the nut to give 16 pounds or so with Nye type grease film on the
leg and do a taxi test.  Tighten the nut until the gear is a bit hard to
break then back off one face.  Go fly and test.  Land and hold off the
nose until 40, and let it down.  If shimmy occurs, push forward and
brake hard, and tighten one flat.

Nye grease is quite good and sticky, but you must test for shimmy and
disk compatability.  You use so little, that personally, any stiff
grease will do.  I do not use silicones or lithium greases, only
flurocarbon or silica thickened like Nye, Nyogel H,  the spec is 774 or
868 which comes in small tubes for about 14 pounds or $20 US.  See
newgate on line or Specialty Chemicals... The aircraft kit manufacturer
though has no comment on which is better, and neither do I.

Remember, prolonged grease contact with plastic,(like the disk) may
cause the disk to distort, soften (more common) and fail.  That is why
you want to go with the spec of 774 (the seven series) which is used
with plastic gears and such and so far hasn't caused any problems.  I
have  a spare disk though in my parts bag in the shop, just in case....

Check with the factory for changes.

Regards,
Bud Yerly
CFC, Inc.