Re: Europa-List: Re: One wing Low

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: One wing Low
From: Peter Zutrauen <peterz@zutrasoft.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Jan 2014 11:58:04
I elected to go with a homemade single composite horseshoe spring on the
end of a mac servo (jack-screw model) - very easy to adjust the spring rate
to one's liking..... just add/remove plies accordingly, and less chance of
breakage fowling the controls imho :-)    ..... & nope not on my Europa :-(

[image: image.jpeg]

On Tue, Dec 10, 2013 at 6:20 PM, Bud Yerly <budyerly@msn.com> wrote:

>       Photo E-mail  View slideshow | Download images
> About easy trims.
> If it can go wrong, it will, and the more complex and wonderful, the more
> chance for extensive troubleshooting problems.
>
> I prefer a built in aileron tab into the aileron with the servo attached
> and aileron balanced.  Looks and operates well.  a 10x1.5 inch tab will
> trim off any load and only deflect a very small amount keeping drag to a
> minimum.  However in an aircraft with completed and painted surfaces I ha
ve
> used a spring system.
>
> I usually try to find easy ways to make dumb simple, bullet proof control
> systems that can't be goofed up.
>
> Here is an item I designed, built and installed on a customers aircraft.
> It uses a simple spring set on either side of the stick with a mac servo
> pull left and right on one side and the other side has a simple bolt up
> system.  The servo can be replaced by a screw or lever system with a
> locking ratcheted lever.  The bracket on the stick is .060 minimum 6061 T
 6
> bent on the grain.  I normally install autopilots in our aircraft and the
> roll servo goes under the seat or in the tunnel and attaches to the brack
et
> also.  The trick is getting the spring and servo arm both attached.  Brea
> out the OR spacers on hand and nuts, bolts, washers and patience.
>
> The  spring rate is the tough part.  Don't get it too tight or it stiffen
> the stick too much.  At the base of the stick cradle, you only need about
 1
> pound per inch max to trim a well rigged aircraft.  I prefer springs that
> are 3 inches long.  Use any length you want but make sure the extensions
> and hardware combination you use to attach to the servo or lever cannot
> bind. Without a trim servo motor or autopilot servo it is very simple to
> do.  Autopilot servos have no trouble with the system.
>
> The next item that this requires is a simple fiberglass box cover so you
> can't step on it...  3 layers of bid with a Reduxed angle on the floor an
> seat front keeps the cover set in place, but I glass or bolt in the
> attachment brackets to assure that if stepped on it doesn't move.
> Obviously the cover has to have a U in the center to clear the stick.
>
> I don't have photo's as they are the property of my customers, but it is
> pretty simple.  I prefer not to have an autopilot so that simplifies the
> trim.  Works too.
>
> Regards,
> Bud Yerly

qma.as>I recall they they work on common frequencies.  When you are flying
a radio

 <http://www.buildersbooks.com>www.homebuilthelp.com <http://www.homebuilth
elp.com>www.mypilotstore.com <http://www.mypilotstore.com>www.mrrace.com <h
ttp://www.mrrace.com>*