Europa-List: Re: XS Tri-Gear Speed Kit Parts.

Subject: Europa-List: Re: XS Tri-Gear Speed Kit Parts.
From: jonathanmilbank <jdmilbank@yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 4 Jan 2014 13:43:10

Now that I've removed the monowheel and fitted "trainer wheels" dangling in the
breeze, there's no doubt that I've lost about 8 knots in the cruise, not to
mention
the loss of about 45 lbs load capacity. However the peace of mind in runway
crosswind situations more than compensates.

The speed kit in its entirety doesn't appeal, because I don't fancy having to
clean
grass and mud repeatedly from inside the spats, nor struggling to check brake
pads and inflate tyres.

But I see that some folk fit "pants" on the legs and fairings over the hinges.
My question is "What are the different figures between the two arrangements,
with
or without wheel spats, in terms of weight and speed gain?"

It seems to me that the speed kit without wheel spats would offer relatively
little
speed gain and therefore is of questionable value.

Read this topic online here: