Europa-List: 5 Meter LED String Info

Subject: Europa-List: 5 Meter LED String Info
From: Robert Borger <rlborger@mac.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 2013 13:46:01
Friends,

Last month I ordered a 5 meter string of white LEDs ($9.25), a power
pack/dimmer unit ($2.97) and a pack of 4 extra connectors ($6.50) on
Amazon.  Needless to say, they shipped from China and they took about 2
1/2 weeks to arrive here.  The LED string is supposed to be weatherproof
and it has an adhesive backing with peel-off cover/protector.  One end
is provided with  red/black pigtails for connection to the power
pack/dimmer:

The string may be cut to length every three LEDs.  You can see the
scissor symbols where cutting is permitted.  Also available are
connectors to attach to the end of the cut-off section of string to
allow them to be used.  I have a pack of those connectors on order but
they have not arrived yet.

The connection to the power pack/dimmer is simple and I connected the
power pack to my power supply for testing.  The power pack/dimmer is for
use with 12v-28v DC.  I set my power supply to 12v to check it out.
With the power pack/dimmer set to minimum power there was a surprising
output of light with a current draw of 0.1A.

With the dimmer turned to max brightness the light output was impressive
and only 1.5A of current draw.

My initial plans for the string were to backlight the fuel sight gage
which I believe will work quite well.  But that will only take about 1 -
1.5 meters of string.  I=92m thinking about running the remainder inside
the center tunnel of the Europa for lighting when I=92m working inside
there.  I think my biggest problem will be mounting that funky, big
power pack/dimmer in an unobtrusive location.

These LED strings are available in single color red, green or blue sets
as well as white.   They are also available in multi-color LED=92s with
programmable power supply to do visually interesting things with the
string.  I haven=92t gotten up the courage to tackle the multi-color
string yet.  And the prices are very affordable for the tinkerer.

The mind boggles at the potential interior and exterior uses of these
lights!

Blue skies & tailwinds,
Bob Borger
Europa XS Tri, Rotax 914, Airmaster C/S Prop.
Little Toot Sport Biplane, Lycoming Thunderbolt AEIO-320 EXP
3705 Lynchburg Dr.
Corinth, TX  76208-5331
Cel: 817-992-1117
rlborger@mac.com