Europa-List: Yet another Mod 78 update

Subject: Europa-List: Yet another Mod 78 update
From: djaflyact <djaflyact@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2013 10:15:38

Not sure how many people are out there dealing with this in a finished aircraft,
but here is the status of my 2 month project:

With the "adjusting" of the CS08 bracket, I now have the required 3 inch spacing
between the face of the seat back and the forward surface of the CS08. The
largest
thickened of my spar is slightly less than 1 3/8 inches with 95% at 1 1/4
inch. If I countersink the holes in CS08, I then have 3 inches of space to
fit these fatter spars. There should be plenty of room.

To countersink the holes, I borrowed a 90 degree angle drill attachment (see
photo)
and purchased a 1/4 inch pilot countersink bit for that from Aircraft Spruce:

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/topages/stopcountersinkcutters.php

This works very well. I've done one and it took about 2 minutes. The structural
screws are a little long. I forgot one lesson in ordering parts. Buy a size up
and down when you are ordering fairly inexpensive parts.

The post cure for the second wing is underway, despite 0F temps outside. All the
extra equipment like aileron paddles and control rods are gone to provide a
clean tunnel for the fit check. It will stay that way until the spar pin
bushings
are bonded in place and the dihedral angle is set. Not sure when that will
take place with the bitter cold here. It is difficult to get the correct temps
inside for curing of Araldite.

I would recommend replacing the CS08 fasteners with flush as a matter of course.
My logic is margin of safety and if there ever is contact with the spar, there
would be a smooth surface. I am even thinking of applying teflon tape to the
surface as well.

Also - the remote view camera I bought from Walmart for $60 has been invaluable.
I have been using it ALL the time! No amateur colonoscopies, however!

Dave
A227
Mini U2

Read this topic online here: