Europa-List: Of Pencils & Airplanes [Repost From AeroElectric-List]...

Subject: Europa-List: Of Pencils & Airplanes [Repost From AeroElectric-List]...
From: Matt Dralle <dralle@matronics.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2013 00:39:16

[Dear Listers, last week, Bob Nuckolls of the AeroElectric fame, posted a very
nice message discussing the Lists and Forums at Matronics.  It is a very
insightful
piece and I asked Bob if I could forward it to the rest of the Lists for
the other members to enjoy and contemplate as well.  He gladly agreed, and so
below I have included the text from that message.  Enjoy.  -Matt Dralle,
Matronics
Email List and Forum Administrator]

 "As most of you know, Matt's ISP was fiddling with some crucial
 details for the exchange of data on the 'net a few weeks ago.
 The Lists, Matt's business site, and AeroElectric.com got really
 flakey. . . I was 'unhooked' from the List and all of three of
 my e-mail services for several days. Out of business and out
 of touch.

 After two days, I was beginning to worry. I had no idea as
 to root cause nor was there a time table for resolution . . .
 I began to mull over plan-B options. Of course, plan-B
 would have entailed seeking a new home for aeroelectric.com and
 ancillary services. NOT a quick, inexpensive or happy thing to
 contemplate.

 The time talents and resources that go into fabrication and
 maintenance of some of the 'simplest' features of our lives often
 go unnoticed . . . not because they're unappreciated . . . but simply
 because we're unaware of their significance.

 I will invite you all to read an essay by one Leonard Read written
 in 1958 titled "I pencil". See:

    http://tinyurl.com/me3q3hj

 It's a fascinating and well crafted peek into a society of
 unacquainted, self-interested individuals who exploited
 uncountable windows of opportunity for what has
 been called "spontaneous order" in the manufacture and sales
 of the simple wood pencil. The point of citing Mr. Read's
 essay is to examine two features of the human experience that
 contribute to the success of this List and our various interests
 in airplanes.

 The first point I'd like to make is that we cannot know
 the millions of individuals who contributed to the materials
 and infrastructure that make this List possible. We sit at the
 top of a pyramid of work-product derived from the time,
 talents and resources of millions of people who we'll never
 know.

 Another feature I'd like to emphasis is our ignorance
 of the criticality for any single component for a host
 of materials and components for the manufacture and
 sales of a simple pencil or an affordable airplane. Suppose
 any one of the materials or processes described in Read's
 essay were simply unavailable. How would that impact
 the price of a pencil? Would the pencil even continue to
 exist at it's new price? The really big question is, "How
 might some seemingly small loss ripple throughout the
 economy of our existence?"

 The time, talent and resources that support infrastructure
 for this List, my website, Matt's website, and our e-mails
 cannot be accurately known. That infrastructure stands
 on an exceedingly complex array of activities that arose
 from the ingenuity and spontaneous organization of free-
 market enterprises. But from our perch at the top of
 this pyramid we need only look down a few layers and see that
 this resource upon which we depend is vulnerable. There are
 risks we all assume . . . Matt could get t-boned in an
 intersection tomorrow. Lightning could strike the pole behind
 his facility and do catastrophic damage to the hardware.
 Yours truly could take a deer through the windshield on
 his way to Wichita some morning.

 Other risks are less catastrophic. They include things
 like amateurish behaviors by maintainers of the Internet
 highway's potholes. Perhaps some material critical to
 the manufacture of terabyte hard drives dries up. Or
 maybe the cost of keeping the lights on and the bytes
 herded become more than Matt can justify given his personal
 needs for existence.

 Several times a year I get an opportunity to
 plant new seeds of thought in the minds of fellow citizens.
 One of my favorites is to be standing in a long line
 at Panera's waiting to purchase a bagel and coffee and
 hear somebody in line complaining about the
 wait. I suggest to them that to wait in line for a
 much desired product is a GOOD thing. Not having
 to wait is a BAD thing if there is not enough business
 to encourage them to be open tomorrow.

 It goes without saying that few, if any of us, possess the
 talents, resources or motivation to step up and do what
 Matt does. At last count, there were about 1600 individuals
 who subscribe to this List [Aeroelectric-List]. . .
 certainly many more make up the population of subscribers
 to all of the Lists on Matronics.

 A few years back, Matt was besieged by legal trials
 and tribulations over the naming of his products . . .
 seems somebody claimed ownership of the words 'scan'
 and/or 'scanner' . . . We here on the AeroElectric-List
 perceived a risk to Matt's operations and came up with
 several thousands of dollars to contribute to his defense
 fund. We need make no greater 'investment' in Matt's
 operations now than it takes to stand in a line for
 a Quarter-Pounder Combo . . . or a fist full of pencils.

 You and I can have no more positive influence over the
 manufacture of pencils and hard drives than to continue
 to purchase such things and encourage those with the
 time, talent and resources to continue doing what they
 do best.

 Let's contribute to the comfortable maintenance of this
 service which is probably more valuable than we know.
 Just a little bit from thousands of us on the Matronics
 Lists can make a big difference.

 Bob . . ."

Please take a minute to make your Contribution today:

        http://www.matronics.com/contribution

Or, drop a personal check in the mail to:

        Matt Dralle / Matronics
        581 Jeannie Way
        Livermore CA 94550
        USA