Europa-List: Re: Belleville Washer

Subject: Europa-List: Re: Belleville Washer
From: h&amp;jeuropa <butcher43@att.net>
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2013 06:34:06

Dave,

We think you may not need a hard washer.  When we got our glider wings there was
no washer in the kit.  We asked Andy Draper about it.  As we recall (sorry we
can't seem to locate the message), Andy said the washer was necessary if there
was a Spar Cup (SO3) used since the cup is not hardened and the pip pin balls
need to seat against a hardened surface.

The short wing setup uses a spar cup bonded to the port spar that the tip of the
stbd spar goes into.  In this case a hardened washer must be bonded to the spar
cup for the port pip pin.

The MG wings uses spar bushings that the builder installs and the tip bushings
that are installed at the factory are the same type.  These bushings have a
larger
diameter shoulder and do not fit the spar cup.  It is not an issue at all
now since Mod 78 will not allow the use of SO3 spar cups.  So the port pip pin
balls will contact the bushing at the tip of the stbd spar.  The bushing is
hardened so no washer is required.

We cut the shoulder off two of our original bushings that we had removed from
the
spars and used them to use to fill the tip hole in the spar when attaching
the Mod 78 mold.  Cutting the bushings used up a couple of Dremel cut off
wheels.
They are hard!!

Hope this helps.

Jim & Heather