Europa-List: Network Issues At Matronics Last Few Days...

Subject: Europa-List: Network Issues At Matronics Last Few Days...
From: Matt Dralle <dralle@matronics.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2013 00:12:54

Dear Listers,

Starting sometime on Friday November 1st, my Internet Service Provider (ISP)
began "upgrading" their Domain Name Servers (DNS).  DNS servers allow the
resolution of computer names such as "www.matronics.com" to real addresses such
as 64.81.74.3.  This also impacts email delivery as well, since there is
another layer of resolution that applies to email names.

Because of this upgrade on the part of my ISP, DNS service started getting
unreliable
around Friday sometime, but I didn't notice it until sometime on Saturday.
When I used a tool called "nslookup" to test the resolution of name-to-address,
about 50-75% of the time my ISP's servers would response with an "SERVFAIL"
indicating that they didn't know the answer.  I opened a ticket with the
ISP on Saturday, and by Sunday afternoon I had no feedback on the ticket so I
called in to support.  "We upgrading the DNS servers, and it should back by
Sunday
at 5pm."  5pm came and went with no resolution.

Well, long story short by Tuesday morning things were still not fixed and in
fact
much worse.  So, I opted to move all my DNS service to a different service
provider.  I have a lot of DNS entries, so it took a while to get everything
moved
over.  It generally takes about 24 hours for a change like that to fully
propagate across the Internet which would be Wednesday morning sometime.  I've
noticed that the Matronics web server traffic is picking up again, so many sites
have already propagated the new information.

I really should have just moved the DNS on Saturday when I first noticed the
troubles,
but with stuff like this, you just keep believing that it gonna be fixed
any minute now....  And, in fact, that's what my ISP kept telling me...

Its always a giant bummer when stuff like this happens and particularly during
the Fund Raiser.  I apologize to anyone that has tried to make a Contribution
in the last few days and had issues or was simply unable to connect.  By the
time
you read this email, the DNS should be fully propagated, and I ask that you
please try again.

The Contribution web site URL is:

        http://www.matronics.com/contribution

or, you can send a personal check to the following address:

        Matronics / Matt Dralle
        581 Jeannie Way
        Livermore, CA 94550

Thank you for your kind consideration and patience,

Matt Dralle
Matronics Email List and Forum Administrator