Europa-List: Just for the record

Subject: Europa-List: Just for the record
From: Kingsley Hurst <kingsnjan@westnet.com.au>
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2013 18:27:27

Fellow Europaphiles

We (my wife and I) have recently returned from a 3 week trip away in our
Europa.  Unfortunately, not the one I have been building for years but one
purchased by one of my sons and me.  We were very fortunate in finding this
aircraft because it is at least equal to the best example in Australia.

I live in South East Queensland and the trip firstly took us North to
Rockhampton, then to Mount Isa (NW Qld), across and up to the Atherton
Tablelands in NE Qld, back to Rockhampton and then home again.  While in
Mount Isa, my eldest son and I did a trip up to Karumba (in the Gulf of
Carpentaria) for lunch (Barramundi and Chips/Fries).  Karumba is world
renown for its prawn harvest but not so much this year owing to no wet
season.

If anyone ever doubts the ability of the Europa, please quote the following
stats :-

Europa 914 Mono
AUW on trip = 621+ kg
Climb power setting = 34" MAP and 5500 RPM
Cruise power setting =  28"-29" MAP and 5000 RPM.

Cruising altitude 8500 ft - 9500 ft depending on track direction..
Max cruising altitude 12000 ft (to get on top of very rough thermals and
Cu - one leg only)

Total Distance - 2519 nm (4665 km)
Shortest leg - 208 nm  (385 km)
Longest leg - 484 nm  (896 km)
Total of 8 legs

Total engine time = 19.5 hrs
Total fuel used = 360 Lt  (79 UK Gal,  95 US Gal)
Fuel burn avg = 18.46 LPH  (4 UK GPH,  4.9 US GPH)

Comparing to a car . . . .
Statute Miles per Gallon   UK = 36.5     US = 30.5
Metric = 7.7 litres per 100km

Average speed i.e. Total Dist over Total engine time  =  129 kts  (239 kph)

If you see this Ivan, Congratulations. . . . .  I'm most impressed with what
you created and despite what has been said in the past about the Mono, I
Love it! (so far anyway!)   Landing in Mount Isa with 38C temp on hot
bitumen/asphalt with a 15 kt crosswind at 90 degrees gusting to whatever,
had me sitting on the edge of my seat with a very high pucker factor I can
assure you but a good experience in the end.

Cheers
Kingsley in Oz