Europa-List: DOT4 and filling the monowheel brake system

Subject: Europa-List: DOT4 and filling the monowheel brake system
From: f.kyle@sympatico.ca
Date: Sat, 5 Oct 2013 09:43:38
            My great thanks to Max, Remi and Neville for help.

            The fault was mine, the stupidy rampant. I discovered a stuck
piston in the reservoir/lever component, due to deterioration in the piston
rings/cap - sitting for 5 years without inspection. The jammed lever gave
clue, so opened up the piston area, replaced the cap and ring and cleaned
it. Perfect BUT forgot the condition when I installed the system and ignored
the brake cylinder.

            There we were, squeezing wildly on the syringe, dripping fluid
all over the place. Finally sense slowly prevailed, I took out the brake
cylinder and the piston was frozen solid. Took it to a nearby brake repair
facility and in twenty minutes we had it cleaned. (Thanks, Neville)

            I bought another horse syringe, clipped the nozzle to increase
the end diameter to fit and screw into the top master cylinder filler,
(Upper Syringe). I then borrowed  a neighbour's boroscope and aimed it at
the upper syringe so I could monitor progress while below..

            Re-assembled the system. Then I created a suction by pulling the
upper syringe to get some suction. Loaded a 600 ml syringe and applied fluid
to released bleed valve below. Magic - flowed in like water... When the
boroscope showed fluid bubbling into the upper syringe, I pumped the bottom
one until no more bubbles arose in it , pulled the bottom to drag the
meniscus down to the cap level and removed and capped the master cylinder..

Pulled the bottom syringe, closed the bleed valve, and tried the lever.
Pressure, no spongy response and the wheel brakes.......!

Now I know if I had checked both cylinders properly, read the clues and
thought a little more about it, I wouldn't have disturbed my buddies, would
have done the job, and saved gas, 15 dollars, and a day's exertion, plus the
celean-up........

            Thanks again, Max, Remi and Neville!

Ferg