Europa-List: Re: Factory upholstery kit

Subject: Europa-List: Re: Factory upholstery kit
From: Kelvin Weston <kelv@kdweston.biz>
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2013 01:09:42

Thanks Keith / Ron

You have confirmed my thoughts about the seat back cushion.

I spoke with Ingrid at Auto-Trim, the company that makes the factory kit and she
sent me this reply regarding the conflict with the wing spar pins:

Having seen the aircraft, the position of the pins and the comments from
potential
customers I have made the decision to modify the pattern and cut away the
foam in that area and re shape the cover accordingly.

Good to hear, a bit late for those that have already purchased a kit or seats
and
still doesn't address the potential problem of the gap between the bottom of
the seat back and the cockpit module.

At the moment, I am investigating some local upholstery businesses to see what
they can offer and at what price.  Living near to the sailing areas of
Portsmouth
and The Solent, there are lots of marine upholsterers that have shown an
interest.
I have also approached some car and vehicle trimmers.

To assess what I wanted from the seat cushions, I purchased some foam from a
company
that will cut any shape and size for you either regular shapes, or to your
supplied template.  I had some rectangles cut to the required thickness for
the main part of the seat base and seat back and also some trapezium and
triangle
shaped bits for under the knees and as an infill for the gap at the lower
back.

I glued the various bits together to form the two cushions and cut the back to
the headrest shape.  They look good even without covers, are really comfortable
to sit on and should give me a good template to take to the upholsterer.  I
will probably substitute some Dynafoam or Confor foam for the seat base in the
final configuration.

I ordered enough foam for two seats to allow a bit of experimenting and this
only
cost 20 uk pounds.  Well worth the expense and time getting it right if I'm
going to spend several hundreds on the final upholstered article.

--------
Regards

Kelv Weston
Kit 497