Europa-List: Re: stopping engine in flight

Subject: Europa-List: Re: stopping engine in flight
From: rparigoris <rparigor@suffolk.lib.ny.us>
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2013 03:36:51

Hi David

"I was frustrated in this because with the ignition off my prop continued to
windmill
with the speed pulled right back to 50kts."

I owned a 1948 Cessna 170 rag-wing for 19 years. I would regularity stop the
prop
and go gliding.

Some of the time when the sea breeze was working well on Long Island you could
maintain with the prop windmilling, but if you managed to stop the prop you
could
climb. I used a strap on your wrist Ball variometer.

Once you managed to get things stopped, L/D went up and sink rate went down.

Anyway to stop the fixed pitch prop on my Continental C-145 (very close to
O-300)
6 cylinder, I would need to use full flaps and do a semi aggressive stall.
Not a whip stall, but not a slowly pull stick in your lap either. This was
especially
necessary if not solo with light fuel.

Remember the ragwing 170 had hinged flaps the same size as the 120, and they
didn't
work very well on the 120.

Anyway, did you try full flap stall solo with light fuel to get things stopped?

Ron Parigoris

Read this topic online here: