Europa-List: Foot well got burned!

Subject: Europa-List: Foot well got burned!
From: rparigoris <rparigor@suffolk.lib.ny.us>
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2013 12:00:52

Hi Group

I accidentally burned my starboard foot-well!

I replaced my lanterns alkaline battery (EverReady) ~ Christmas 2010. It hasn't
seen any use since then.

I sit down in front of my Europa XS Mono to study the undercarriage mounting
frame,
need some light. No problem, I grab my lantern that I always store with the
lens up (in case it is left on), turn it on and use it for 5 or so minutes.

I turn it off and rest it on my starboard foot-well, again with the lens up.

After about 10 minutes I pick it up, turn it on to use it again and see what I
think is water on my foot-well, it's turning the Phenolic resin black!

I'm not sure just what leaked out of the battery, but it was water clear and had
the viscosity of 3 in 1 oil.

I was able to get off perhaps 1/2 of the damage, I tried water, alcohol and
acetone
with scotchbright.

Anyway the resin sure did react quick to whatever it was that leaked out.:
https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=550FC20DBDDB521D!1656&authkey=!AEWLOllC2BXrnI0

Ron Parigoris

Read this topic online here: