SV: SV: SV: SV: Europa-List: Re: wing lift/drag pins

Subject: SV: SV: SV: SV: Europa-List: Re: wing lift/drag pins
From: Sidsel & Svein Johnsen <sidsel.svein@oslo.online.no>
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2013 14:48:15
Frans,

> But for me, as this was the topic of the original discussion, the question
is:

> what kind of forces do the wings pose on the fuselage?

> As the fuselage doesn't want to go forward without the wings, but still
goes

> forward with the wings, it looks to me that it is possible that the wings

> somehow pull the fuselage forward.

When you fly with the engine pulling on the fuselage (cannot pull on the
wings in the Europa!), the fuselage pulls the wings.

When you glide, I don't know which part (fuselage or wings) have the best
weight/drag ratio, so I don't know whether the fuselage wants to leave the
wings behind or vice versa (I do suspect, though, that the wings are holding
back the fuselage).

At unusual attitude or high G-loading, it has been stated on this forum that
wings (on other airplanes) have moved forward when they broke off.  This
means that there has been a forward (centerline direction) net force acting
---From the wings onto the fuselage at that time, in addition to a
perpendicular (to centerline) component, of course.

> And of course I have some clues as why the airplane (as a whole) actually

> flies and I agree with your drawings, but again, the topic was:

> the rear wing sockets, do they push or do they pull?

> To really answer this question you should drawn the vector diagrams not
for

> the airplane as a whole, but for each of the components that make up the

> airplane. And then it would be interesting to see what resultant force is

> acting on the rear wing sockets.

Except in very uncommon circumstances, the rear wing pins on Europa are
pushing backwards on the fuselage-mounted sockets, and tries to bend in the
fuselage sides/compress the cross tie bar between the left and the right
side sockets, as the wings have a resultant force going back and up during
normal powered flight.  Whether the resultant force can ever be directed
forward of the perpendicular to the centerline in the Europa, I have no idea
- but I will keep the pins in, just in case!

> Has anyone actually ever tried to fly without the rear pip pins in? If so,
what

> happened? If not, what would happen? Could you get away with it, or will

> the wings fold forward during the landing flare?

> I don't think the forces are too large anyway, as the original Europa
design

> didn't have the interconnecting bar between the sockets, and the original

> structure is not really that strong with respect to pulling and pushing
forces.

Frans, please promise that you will not be the first one to try that!!

/////////

I prefer to end my limited contribution to this tread now, but look very
much forward to picking it up again over a cold beer at the Vichy fly-in.
Perhaps also the beer's force may be determined by which way we are leaning
..?

Regards,

Svein