Europa-List: Spar pin (was You'll cry..)

Subject: Europa-List: Spar pin (was You'll cry..)
From: f.kyle@sympatico.ca
Date: Fri, 7 Jun 2013 10:02:26
Fred,

            Wow, you hit a note there, that lines up with what I've come to
believe. By leaning 'way back from the belly panel opening, I can see the
pintle and believe that an extended hacksaw blade of about 30 inches would
rest on it and begin sawing. The blade is attached to a speed-controlled
scroll saw so we can start slowly and establish an early cut to follow. The
route would be the same, near the back of the panel hole, up behind the
pitch tube and behind the aileron bracket. I mean to guide it with the
boroscope, with a buddy who has taken an interest at the hangar.

            Due to a combination of lassitude and ignorance, I can't seem to
achieve the Matronics graphic skills for a photo, but will send it directly.

Cheers, Ferg

Ferg...there is a space of 1.75" (45mm) between the face of my tank and

the aft edge of the 0.5" rod which connects to the aileron friction

plate. I'm suggesting that this gap would allow ample space for a

reciprocating saw blade of proper length to saw your pintle from

below...the trick will be to establish some reference points so that the

opening for the saw can be determined with some accuracy.

My suggestion would be to use a hole saw to cut a hole in the bottom of

the fuselage...say about 2" in diameter...if you make hatch marks for

the center point extending beyond the circumference of the circle, they

would make it easy to align the cut-out circle when you go to patch it

in once the problem's solved and your wings are off.

To locate the center point of your hole, perhaps starting from a

reference line drawn between the two fuel tank access holes would

do...?...if this sounds like a sensible approach to you (and to others

lurking on the list), I can give you a dimension fore and aft from that

line, and a second dimension off the centerline of the fuselage

bottom to locate the center point for the hole.

Let me know if you would like me to determine those dimensions and

establish that point.

My suggestions are based on the idea that a solution lies in finding a

way to cut off your "tapered pintle" which will then allow for you to

drive out the remaining portion which is now stuck in the spar holes.

But perhaps more experienced minds can find a better alternative.

Fred