Europa-List: Re: altimeter encoder problem

Subject: Europa-List: Re: altimeter encoder problem
From: Remi Guerner <air.guerner@orange.fr>
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2013 04:43:12

Hi David,
I propose to share with you my personal experience on that subject :
My aircraft was originally fitted with a Garmin GTX320 and a Terra AT3000
encoder.
After a few years flying, I started to experience altitude reporting problems.
ATC was occasionally seeing me at 6000 ft or below ground level while I was
flying  at 2000 ft AMSL. I was once wrongly accused of having busted the class
A London TMA while I was flying well below the max allowed altitude. Then
I reworked the wiring without success, then I had the encoder tested by an
avionic
shop and it was found to be ok. Then I borowed another GTX 320 from a frend
for a few flights and the system was working ok. So the culprit was clearly
the transponder which was intermittently reporting an altitude different from
the one transmitted by the encoder.
I have since installed a mode S GTX328, keeping the Terra encoder and it has
been
working fine for the last five years.
Conclusion : in most of the cases the culprit is the altitude encoder but it
could
also be the transponder itself.
I hope that helps.
Regards