Europa-List: Propeller blade tape vs performance

Subject: Europa-List: Propeller blade tape vs performance
From: jonathanmilbank <jdmilbank@yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2013 12:11:29

The airfield where I'm temporarily obliged to operate my Classic Europa trigear
has a tar runway which seems okay, but actually sheds very fine gritty particles
which get sucked up by my Warp Drive propeller fitted on an Airmaster vp hub.

After only a few taxiings and simulated t/o runs, the metal leading edge strips
and the unprotected sections closer to the roots both show serious evidence of
many tiny nicks, which will accumulate and soon make severe erosion.

Please can you advise me on using prop blade tape and particularly how badly it
might affect aircraft performance. I did use short lengths previously along the
unprotected leading edges closer to the blade roots and it didn't make a
noticeable
difference to performance, but now I've stuck on 18" strips all the way
to the blade tips.

One opinion I've had already is that the drop-off in performance will be quite
serious, but I'd really like to get a spectrum of opinions.

Many thanks, Jonathan

Read this topic online here: