Re: Europa-List: Stuck tailplane

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Stuck tailplane
From: GRAHAM SINGLETON <grahamsingleton@btinternet.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2013 18:16:21
Glad it worked Frank!=0AGraham=0A=0A=0A________________________________=0A
From: Frank Mycroft <frankm@clara.net>=0ATo: europa-list@matronics.com =0AS
ent: Friday, 1 March 2013, 17:43=0ASubject: Europa-List: Stuck tailplane=0A
 =0A=0A =0AGraham Singleton's tip for unsticking a stuck =0Atailplane worke
d a treat - thank you Graham.- You put a close-fitting bar =0Athrough the
 pip-pin hole for the other tailplane and while tapping outwards =0Agently
with a heavy hammer pull on the stuck tailplane.- It only moves =0Aabout
5 thou at- a time initially, but it moves and eventually is =0Afree.- B
ut here is the lesson I learnt.- Although I had greased the =0Atorque tub
e when I fitted it last, the two close-fitting sleeves that it passes =0Ath
rough wipe most of the grease off and the outboard end has had the most =0A
wiping.- That was where the corrosion was, and I think it had got into th
e =0Apip-pin hole from the botton as there was some corrosion on the pip-pi
n.- =0AIn future before fitting I will put grease into the outboard sleev
e through the =0Apip-pin hole and spread it around the inside of the sleeve
 with a long stick =0Athrough the torque tube hole.- =0A-=0AMy other pr
oblem with stiff ailerons is definitely =0Acaused by swelling of the tufnol
 bushes.- Tufnol is cotton fabric in layers =0Aimpregnated with phenolic
resin.- The end-grain is what is visible when =0Alooking down on the bush
, and being cotton which is exposed it is not surprising =0Aif the cotton a
bsorbs some moisture.- The absorption rate is not great =0A(according to