Re: Europa-List: Oil in Turbo on 914

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Oil in Turbo on 914
From: Bud Yerly <budyerly@msn.com>
Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2012 18:43:36
Brad,
I agree with Frans.  Disconnecting the airbox won't kill the engine, as
it will start and run, like and 80 horse, but it is not made for that.
(Although I have flown with the turbo inop, but it does take care and
knowledge.

First, the oil seep into the turbo is normal and irritating.
Oil will get into the inlet and the exhaust side.  Get some mild
degreaser or dishwashing soap and water, as you will need it after
start.  The oil coming out of the exhaust will coat the underside and
gear.

If the plane has sat for a few months, pull the air filter, and clean
the filter if it is saturated.
Put a small piece of tubing and syringe to suck out the excess oil out
of the cool side of the turbo or the carbs and sensors will get an oil
bath.
Be sure to burp the engine and it may be wise to pull the top plugs and
spin the engine until the oil pressure rises to at least 60 psi or 4
bars and continue cranking for 30 seconds to assure yourself that your
lifters have oil in them.  If all is well, then install the air filter
and start it up and run it at 2200 or so until hot.

Failure to ensure your hydraulic lifters are full and pressurized will
result in engine failure.  And it is very sudden.  The Rotax is a superb
engine, but it needs oil and coolant constantly.

Your turbo oil leak is due to the oil ball check in the small line to
the turbo.  That should be disconnected and cleaned and checked that the
ball seats properly into the bolt.  Any small corrosion or crud will
keep the oil feeding from the tank to the supply side of the oil pump
and fill the turbo quite quickly after shutdown.  It is nasty to do, but
I will put the ball into its seat, roll it around to assure it is seated
and blow with my mouth to check the seal.  It may look like it is
sealed, but small imperfections in the seat will cause a leak.  Check
that you have the new spring also.  Depends on your year model.

If the oil begins leaking out of the sump can, get a gasket set and put
in a new O ring and gaskets.  Follow the Rotax manual completely and do
not over-torque the fittings.

If you intend to not fly your 914 for long periods, you should consider
following the procedure for engine storage in the Rotax Operators and
line maintenance manuals available on line.  Otherwise, things get
gummed up, seals will fail in the water pump, gearbox seals will dry
out, the gears will corrode, etc.  Purge your oil system of all air IAW
the Rotax instructions before start.

For coolant I use glycol, but Evans coolant seems to corrode less at the
fittings than the Evans.  Evans does not seem to transfer heat as fast
and with glycol I can keep my temps cooler down here in Florida with our
sized radiator and ducting.  Up north, Evans is fine.

If you can, run the engine every two weeks to a full warm up and taxi to
run up to keep it cleaned out.

The key to a reliable aircraft is to exercise it often, maintain it by
the book and do a thorough 25 hour inspection at oil change intervals.
If mine sits three to six months, I open the carbs, and do a 100 hour
inspection on the engine, because I know it will not be reliable enough
to jump in and fly off somewhere.
I put in fresh fuel and oil.  Aeroshell Sport Plus 4 semi synthetic is
good oil, but it does get gummy with time as any oil does.  I prefer
Mobile MX4T or Racing T (but only with unleaded fuel) as it is cleaner
and lubes very well over time without gumming up, however, it is thin
and does fill my turbo quickly after a few days..

Airframe wise:
I keep my battery on a battery tender and take the Odessy to the dealer
every couple of years for a deep cycle.  Visit the plane every two weeks
like visiting an old friend and check it over, fill the tires, and look
for leaks.  Cycle the battery on and start it up and check all the
systems.  Then if the sun is shinning, go for a quick flight to exercise
your own skills.

Best regards.

Bud Yerly
Tech support.