Re: Europa-List: Oil in Turbo on 914

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Oil in Turbo on 914
From: Frans Veldman <frans@privatepilots.nl>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2012 23:44:42

On 11/28/2012 09:30 PM, Brad Shafer wrote:

> Looking for some advice. My 914 hasn't been run for about 18 months. Oil has
> been collecting in the bottom of the turbo.

This is often the case if you don't run the engine. The turbo is at a
low position, there is a valve in the oil return line but even a tiny
leak in that valve will allow the oil slowly to collect in the turbo.

Best is to run the engine regularly, at least once a month. Not only for
this turbo problem, but also for the rest of the engine.

You can also clean/replace the oil return valve. Ideally it should not
leak oil, but then again, 18 months is a very long time.

> And can I run the engine with the
> turbo to intercooler to intake disconnected?

Why would you do that? Get out as much oil as you can with a piece of
transparent hose (stick it in the turbo, close the other end with your
finger, lift it out, take your finger off and the oil runs out of the
hose, repeat this until no oil can be caught anymore). Whatever is left
will then be burned in the cylinders.
Running the turbo without the hose will create a mess and the turbo
might(will?) overspeed. The TCU won't see any pressure in the intake so
it keeps the wastegate firmly closed, so the turbo will get the full
exhaust pressure, and without back pressure on the intake side, it will
spool up very fast, without anything limiting it. I wouldn't dare to
try, not even at idle. The engine is not ment to be run like that.

Frans