Re: Europa-List: Vapour lock? Why?

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Vapour lock? Why?
From: GRAHAM SINGLETON <grahamsingleton@btinternet.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2012 12:40:29
Best one is an Andair, not cheap though. The old Mini gascolator is too sma
ll for a 914, GAS375 would be the one=0A=0AGraham=0A=0A=0A=0A______________
__________________=0A From: William Daniell <wdaniell.longport@gmail.com>
=0ATo: europa-list@matronics.com =0ASent: Monday, 29 October 2012, 11:31=0A
Subject: RE: Europa-List: Vapour lock? Why?=0A =0A=0AI plumbed those in
=93 following the book =93 but I see they are probably not the ide
al.=0ASo what=99s the most common solution?=0AWill=0A=C2-=0AFrom:ow
ner-europa-list-server@matronics.com [mailto:owner-europa-list-server@matro
nics.com] On Behalf Of GRAHAM SINGLETON=0ASent: 29 October 2012 05:29=0ATo:
 europa-list@matronics.com=0ASubject: Re: Europa-List: Vapour lock? Why?=0A
=C2-=0ANigel=0Aanother problem with those filters is that sometimes they
look clean but aren't because the contamination is translucent when wet wit
h fuel; so, more restriction.=C2-=0AYou're right, they are too small. qui
te high fuel flow with a 914.=0AGraham=0A=C2-=0A=0A______________________
__________=0A=0AFrom:"nigel_graham@m-tecque.co.uk" <nigel_graham@m-tecque.c
o.uk>=0ATo: europa-list@matronics.com =0ASent: Monday, 29 October 2012, 10:
01=0ASubject: Re: Europa-List: Vapour lock? Why?=0A=C2-=0A=C2-=0AOn 31/
07/2012 22:27, klinefelter.kevin@gmail.com wrote:=0A--> Europa-List message
 posted by: klinefelter.kevin@gmail.com=0A>=C2-=0A>Snip ....=0A.....I was
 chatting with Rob Seaton ( of Rotech in canada). He said he learned how to
o small a fuel line and/or tortured routing can cause "cavitation" at the p
umps. So maybe your fuel filter(s), on the suction side of the pump,are cau
sing cavitation in the pump(s). Maybe due to the size (restriction of flow)
 of the filter, even if they are clean.=0A........ Snip=0A=0AKevin, I think
 Rob Seaton may be on the money with this one.=C2- =0AA year or so back,
I experienced a dead cut while flying a friend's 914 powered Europa on a ho
t day. Nifty application of fuel pump restored the noise, but once safely b
ack on the ground, I checked the filters (all clean). This aircraft was fit
ted with Europa specified Purolator glass shrouded filters that allow you t
o see the fuel flowing. At low RPM, the filter appeared full, but as power
was increased, the filter began to fill with what I thought was air. My fir
st action was to check the pipework and security of connections - but every
thing seemed fine - it was definitely not drawing in air from anywhere. I t
hen concluded that I had experienced vapour lock and left it at that.=0A=0A
Curiosity got the better of me and I started researching cavitation and stu
mbled upon this very stilted, but interesting presentation on Youtube. Take
 a look at the first minute from 00.20 - in particular, the glass venturi.
This was exactly what I saw in the Purolator filters.=0A=0Ahttp://www.youtu
be.com/watch?v=K_w3gcvA87I=0A=0AMy conclusion is that the Purolator filte
r has the correct mesh size to trap contaminants, but the filter capacity i
s too small and creates a pressure drop in the fuel line.=0A=0ANigel=0Ahttp
=C2-=0A=C2-=0A=C2-=0A=C2-=0Ahttp://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Euro
pa-List=0Ahttp://forums.matronics.com=0Ahttp://www.matronics.com/contributi