Re: Europa-List: Reserve Fuel

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Reserve Fuel
From: Tim Ward <ward.t@xtra.co.nz>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2012 09:53:18

Alan,
Interesting finds. For the Monowheel Classic, the best!
I normally run my reserve in the cruise to avoid what you have said and keep the
fuel flow exercised from both sides. Back to Main for LDG  and TO.
I placed an extension (workshop drill extension adaptor) from the fuel cock to
bring it to be easily accessible to the pilot as the fuel selector on the centre
armrest.
Was the Fuel Gauged table measurements done with the aircraft in the flying
attitude?

Cheers,

Tim

Tim Ward
12 Waiwetu Street
Fendalton,
Christchurch,  8052
New Zealand.

ward.t@xtra.co.nz

Ph 64 3 3515166
Mob 0210640221

On 25/10/2012, at 9:23 AM, "Alan Carter" <alancarteresq@onetel.net> wrote:

> Hi All.
> I am just putting this in as it may be of use to low hour flyer's or owners
> that
purchased there aircraft like me.
> I purchased my Europa about 3 months ago and have clocked up just over 35
> hours
in her.
> The previous owner flew her in to Headcorn and basically said nothing ,
> leaving
the plane with a 600 rpm Mag drop which i had to fix.
> Eventually I went flying loading extra fuel as i did not know the aeroplane,
and thinking the fuel gauge might be over read a little thinking maybe 5 to 8
litres.

> A few weeks later i decided to drain the tanks and check the gauge, lucky i
> did
for a couple of reasons as follows.
> I drained both Main and Reserve as i did not know which tank saddle was the
> reserve,
more by chance i drained the Main tanks Saddle first,
> it was a long process as i used the fuel drain valves under the aircrafts
> belly.
> Then i drained the Reserve the same way ,Here i made a discovery, the 8 litres
of drained fuel was Stale, contained particles and some emulsified water
droplets.
> I concluded from my detective work (1) That the previous owner never used the
Reserve Side of the Tank, and (2) That even though the Fuel Filler Cap Hose goes
down the same side as the Reserve saddle the fuel in the reserve does not
mix so leaving old stale dirty fuel in the saddle.
> I have flow 4 Europa's and nothing about Checking Reserve was printed one
> there
Check Lists, so i suspect they are quit a few who never use the Reserve,??
> So I have added a line to my Check List, Taxing In on Reserve, and then change
back to Main, I am not likely to use Reserve, and the least i fiddle with before
Take Off suits me.
> At least i know i have fresh clean fuel there should i need it, And Taxing In
after flying gets me use to putting my hand down the tunnel and correctly moving
the fuel cock to the correct selections.

> I refilled the tank using a 5 litre cans checking the gauge and making a Fuel
Ref Chart, to my surprise 58 Lts on the gauge equaled 35 Ltr actually in the
tank.
> It was way out, i must have been very close empty at times, Now i am using my
Chart/Gauge tables which is quit accurate. I will get round to re calibrating
the gauge now i have instruction Manual. So (3) Know what's actually in the
Tank.

> I have no fuel filters just a Gasolator, so in cleaning this , i run some main
fuel then and some reserve fuel, having selected Reserve no fuel came through,
another discovery, i have to put my hand down the tunnel to get at the fuel
cock, and selected  the fuel cock pointer, to the ON RESERVE position , but was
actually selected to the FUEL OFF position, ie the fuel cock handle position
for Reserve was not as i would have thought to be,it looked and appeared to
me to be set correctly.
> (4) Check and Confirm the position and look of the lever for, Fuel Off and the
position and look of the lever for Fuel Reserve , (I am referring to the old
early stile fuel cocks)( not the little Red new type cocks)