Europa-List: Europa Instruments

Subject: Europa-List: Europa Instruments
From: Gary Leinberger <Gary.Leinberger@millersville.edu>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2012 07:42:31
In reference to:

From: "William Bliss" <william@wbliss.co.uk>
Sent: Wednesday, October 17, 2012 6:33:32 PM
Subject: Europa-List: electronic engine monitoring and flight instruments

I am presently flying with the attached panel. It is full IFR, with a Garmi
n 430W, a Mode S Garmin 330 GTX, a Tru-Trak 2-axis autopilot (with a back-u
p attitude indicator), a Grand Rapids HX EFIS and EIS. I used a EXP buss fo
r circuit breakers (that is the EXP indicator above the brakes and throttle
).  I also have back-up airspeed (a Winter since I plan to do soaring and h
ad a bit of a space problem), vertical speed and altimeter. I am using a Ai
rmaster constant speed prop. Yes, it is a bit heavy (panel weighs 42 pounds
 - and it cost a bit more than 42 pounds - yuk-yuk - sorry,  American humor
) but it is what I wanted. Europa is a great IFR platform - the 2-axis auto
pilot is really overkill - the plane actually flies better hands off then w
ith the autopilot (still wanders a bit but think I just need to do some fin
e tuning) - haven't tried it in turbulence yet but have done an hour and ha
lf in the soup. I also have a heated pitot tube which I have yet to test -
but not planning on going into known icing conditions - but we get that her
e (Northeast U.S.). We also have a great deal of traffic and with the new N
ext Gen system I wanted to be able to see more of it on the screen - amazin
g how much traffic we have and miss. I also use my IPad with Foreflight and
 a Stratus for weather.  The IPad is mounted over the tray on the right wit
h a RAM mount.

I have a large 3 hole fan with tubing to cool the 430W and the 330GTX (tube
s hook into the back of the units) and the other one is split between the E
XP and the back of the HX. I also have two small fans on the top of the pan
el set up with a thermostat and a timer. They run off the secondary battery
 (set up as a soaring buss) and they  run for up to 45 minutes after shut d
own, dependent on instrument temps. I have had the HX reboot twice for, I t
hink, overheating but that was a hot day in Florida (90's F) with sun on th
e panel.

The photo should allow you to zoom in to see details on lettering on switch
es and such.

The Grant Rapids EFIS and EIS both work very well and provides far more inf
o than is necessary. I am running a 912S and everything fits up neatly to t
he sensors. It did take about 40 hours to get everything to talk to each ot
her and to arrange the screens (will probably do more fiddling but of cours
e that is why we call them experimental). Grand Rapids does make a smaller
EFIS that I haven't heard anything bad about.

I wanted all this stuff because, first, they are neat toys, and second, I f
ly in a high traffic area with many days of fogs and low ceilings (my rule
is I won't take off until I have at least 1500 AGL)  where I use IFR a lot
just to get out or back in (why are airports magnets for low ceilings?).

Any other questions please let me know.

Gary Leinberger
A-237
62 hours