Europa-List: Re: beringer wheel & brake for monowheel

Subject: Europa-List: Re: beringer wheel & brake for monowheel
From: Remi Guerner <air.guerner@orange.fr>
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2012 08:11:45

To those Monowheel drivers who are interested in the Beringer wheel and brake
kit,
I visited their factory today to sort out the weight saving issue. I met the
boss Gilbert Beringer and his son Remi who designed the proposed system for
the Europa. I was coming with the idea that the disagreement on the original
Europa wheel and brake weight was due to the tyre and I was right. We weighted
different tyres and found that the used 7.00-6 Condor tyre weighted 5 kg, a new
7.00-6 AirTrac 4,16 kg and a new 8.00-6 Carlisle (which is very similar to
the Titan turf glide) was coming at 3,74 kg.
We finally weighted the Europa wheel+brake+axle+spacers+tube+bolts and nuts and
found 7,5 kg.
This is to be compared to 4,54 kg for the replacement parts from Beringer.
Therefore, the weight saving is around 3 kg, provided  you are using the same
tyre
as before.
The Beringer kit comes with a 7.00-6 AirTrac 6 ply, so if you are already using
this type of tyre you will save those 3 kg. But if you are presently using the
original Europa tyre (Carlisle or Titan) you will save 2,5 kg only. If you are
using a heavier tyre such as the Condor you will be close to the 4 kg saving
as claimed by Beringer.
Those figures do not include the master cylinder and brake handle. Those parts
are made of light alloy by Beringer compared to steel  for the original go kart
master cylinder, so I am prety sure there is some more weight saving there.

Remi Guerner
F-PGKL

Read this topic online here: