Re: Europa-List: Fwd: Europa cooling

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Fwd: Europa cooling
From: Frans Veldman <frans@privatepilots.nl>
Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2012 21:57:33

On 10/05/2012 07:56 PM, Jeremy Fisher wrote:

> Thanks for posting the photos.  That is an impressive scheme that you
> created, especially as it obviously works.  As a matter of interest,
> what difference do you see in aircraft performance?  Your cooling
> drag must be well down on the standard scheme.

I think it is, but of course it is hard to measure and judge. We also
have an efficient prop and Fred Klein's wing root fairings. On the other
hand the aircraft is a tri-gear, hi-top, and quite heavy. We never flew
with the stock cooling configuration, or without the wing root fairings,
etc.
We usually cruise with 27" to 28" of manifold pressure, and see an IAS
of about 130 knots at MTOW. At 100% we see a speed of 157 knots.

Usually at FL95 or so we see cruise speeds of 140-160 knots.

Measuring speeds drive me nuts. The aircraft seems to stick to a certain
speed, but pull up, dive down, and after the dive the aircraft maintains
a much higher speed than before the dive. I have heard this from more
people. Anyone who knows the cause? And then it looks like more weight
in the back is beneficial, but only to a certain point. I'm still at a
loss about how to get the best speeds.

Frans